Multiple Time Frame Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by neksor, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Everytime you examine an instrument, work your way down.

Yearly
    Quarterly
    Monthly
    Weekly
    Daily
    4 hours
    hourly
    30 min

below this level, enter at your own risk.

#21     Jul 26, 2013
  2. bone

bone

This is a very wise and true comment about using technical analysis or statistical analysis. Don't get sucked into believing that a large sampling size of higher frequency data will give you the same trend profile and study metrics results as a smaller sampling size of lower frequency data. It is not a substitute !

#22     Jul 26, 2013
  3. NoDoji

NoDoji

I'm having lunch and nearly ruined my vintage IBM keyboard after reading this :D :D :D

#23     Jul 26, 2013
  4. Redneck

Redneck

Many good comments

Mine;

Too many up simultaneously - leads to utter confusion

Clear case where more is not always better when monitoring real time

Like TF said; start big, drill down, also copy the key levels from one to the other - where they all line up = money

eta; Also keep in mind the difference between Time Frame.., and Bar Interval - something I learned a few weeks ago

RN

#24     Jul 26, 2013
  5. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

The OP seems to have disappeared, but those who have resurrected the thread may be interested in the following:

#25     Jul 26, 2013
  6. Not always

#26     Jul 26, 2013

7. thanks for that . its a wonder I got 100 posts in 10 years , its just not worth it , one liners vs well thought out rules , trolls wreck any decent interaction .... (Trader.Fighter ) the name says it all , the only person a trader fights is himself so give yourself a good beating )) ... leave you all to it

#27     Jul 27, 2013
  8. I meant no harm, and most definitely not a troll, in fact posted a better post in the same thread than the one liner.

Sorry about that.

#28     Jul 27, 2013
  9. To add to my one liner post.

Typically, a larger TF trend of potential support or resistance is supposed to take over a smaller TF trend.

Most of the time what will happen is, you obtain a reaction due to this clash, and then the outcome of the clash is typically the conclusion of the potential area working or not. Unfortunately, many times, the market needs further data to decide and it simply consolidates in the same area creating barbwire like action that is not healthy for intraday traders.

At the same time, it is not improbable that fundamental news occur before the test of the big TF potential area and the small tf trend just storms through it, which is why I said, not always in my one liner post.

Apologies to the above poster for my one liner lack of substance post, he was correct in noticing the weak counter-argument.

#29     Jul 27, 2013
  10. Redneck

Redneck

speak of the devil :)

In the off chance someone is having a hard time getting their head wrapped TF vs. BI - here's how a redneck would splain it ;

Price has.., and will continue to - travel across time… (aka the time frame under our scrutiny)

Along its journey; it may stumble…, it may back track…, it may become confused and hang out for a bit…. it may even dash off and away – only to return later

We can use various bar intervals to help drill down and identify these areas…, and exploit them…, while keeping our risk to find out low

Just another way to see that – which has been around since the advent of trading

RN

#30     Jul 27, 2013