Multiple strategy management?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by Soon2Bgreat, Feb 9, 2011.

1. If you run multiple strategies do you run them in the same account or do you use separate accounts for separate strategies?

For example, if one strategy has you long the SP and another short - it's not really a problem to net the position except it could get confusing given many trades, timeframes, etc.

Are there platforms that allow segration of trades/strategies while keeping everything in one account?

I suppose Excel could also be used, especially if you have a data/execution link in your spreadsheet.

2. good approach

3. Using an ad hoc spreadsheet, and personally internalizing orders is the only cheap way that I know of.

I am sure there are people on EliteTrader who know more than I do, but here are the sames of a few $$$ institutional grade solutions with Order Management Systems:

ConvergEx's EZE OMS, StreamBase, Apama, Rithmic, Deltix, Alari, Sybase.

I was trying to sort-out these products yesterday. I am sure there are more contenders.

I led a team creating a custom solution for a CTA once, but I would think that there would be some middle solutions available in between Excel and Institutional.

4. Interesting, thanks for listing a few platforms and I agree it'd be good to see something in the mid range.