Multiple Monitors vs. Single Large

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syswizard, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Good discussions all. It appears FOR TRADING apps, multiple 19" monitors (4 to 6 mounted on a rack 2-high) appears to be the best set-up.

#11     Apr 9, 2009
  2. Shagi

Shagi

For trading purposes - staring at charts all day long TN panels do the job well. The other eexpnsive panels are more useful for watching movies/gaming etc

#12     Apr 9, 2009
  3. use ultramon if you run windows- it solves most if not all multiple monitor issues.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

It costs about $30 USD. Well worth it.

I use it for 3d drafting - drawing and windows on one side- model window on other screen.

#13     Apr 9, 2009
  4. Definitely cool ! And even programmable.
    Wow, thanks for this great utility.

#14     Apr 9, 2009
  5. #15     Apr 9, 2009
  6. bighog

bighog Guest

I made some height measurements on different size screens i have and 1 i no longet have.

Height of screens:

15 " screen = 9 inches

21.5 " widescreen screen = 10 7/8 inches (my mistake, i called this screen a 22 1/2 inch screen before. I gave this screen away because it just looked not cool.

17" screens = 11 1/4 inches

19" screens = 12 inches

Drove to sisters house for Easter dinner and measured bro in laws widescreen which is 22 widescreen. The height was 11 1/4 inches, the same as my old 17 inch screens.

I tried the portrait mode on the widescreen and kept the charts on old 17 inch screen and because i want "HEIGHT" for charts. Haha, i am a breakout trader and not a sideways range trader. (just kidding).

Well that did not work out good because when i "SAVED" the setup of the screens in different modes..........upon restart, it was always a guess what would happen. That was my clue to dump the widescreen and just bite the bullet and order square aspect screens of same size etc and not worry about what i would get on restart. Computers might be able to add/subtract really good but still have a hell of a time trying to guess wtf the user wants. :)

I am very happy with the new 19 inch samsung 943bx SQUARE screens. These should last me until i pack trading in. :cool:

#16     Apr 12, 2009
  7. #17     Apr 12, 2009
  8. Mr J

Mr J

Screen shape doesn't matter if you can adjust the chart windows, so screen shape is simply about finding the most efficient use of space. A square screen would be unsuitable for me though, as it would exaggerate the charts too greatly along the vertical axis. If I used a bunch of indicators though, squares would be better.

#18     Apr 14, 2009
  9. I agree with Hog - all I have ever seen is square. I too just upgraded from 17" square to 19" square and it's mind blowing how much more real estate there is on the 19" monitors. the 19" monitor has more viewing area than the outside border of the 17".

I bought from the Dell outlet - prices were good... IIRC it was about $300 shipped for 3 1908FP monitors that I hang on my Ergotron tripple stand. These were refurb units, purchased

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_1908fp?c=us&cs=28&l=en&s=dfb

I'd never get a widescreen for the PC unless they flat out stop making them - but that won't happen if you buy through non-retail lines.

Back to the OP's question/topic. In Windows/MS Office (at least XP Pro & Office 2003), if you hit the Ctrl button while you "X" out the window/app the computer will remember it and it'll open up in exactly the same place with the same view - works for folders if you want to view some in detail, some in thumbnail, etc. Ctrl+ 'X' (to close out the window) will remember.

I have no idea about other apps - my power etrade pro allows me to exit or exit/save my layout. Other stuff seems to remember so maybe it's a windows control?

Gnome/Hog - if you do your "Disk Cleanup" in the C: Properties some of that stuff gets forgotten I have found

#19     Apr 14, 2009
  10. gnome

gnome

Whenever you run any type of "cleanup" utility, it's always possible some settings and passwords will be cleaned and you'll have to re-establish your preferences.

#20     Apr 14, 2009