Multiple Monitors vs. Single Large

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syswizard, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Having multiple smaller monitors appears to be better alternative to a large one, at least under Windows. The advantage of the first set-up is that each app and/or window can be maximized in a separate monitor. However, this can't be done with a large one. Am I right on this ?
    Has any vendor created a solution whereby a single large monitor can be "logically" divided into "mini-monitors" ?

2. Mac cine displays using OSX 'Spaces', closest I've seen, and awesome.

3. gnome

gnome

You can position a window(s) for an app anywhere and any size you want on the desktop. This is a Windows function, so Windows keeps track of how you've placed things.... just drag the edges of the window to your desired placement and size.... including "one app for one monitor". Or, if you have a large monitor, you can make the window for 2 apps, each to be 1/2 of the monitor.... either way, it works exactly the same.

When you maximize a chart, it will maximize to fill the entire window you've set for that application.... even if it's across multiple monitors.

It doesn't matter whether you have one or multiple monitors... Windows Extended Desktop acts as one large desktop.

4. Yes Gnome, I knew that.
    But will those windows that are "fitted" stay there ?
    The issue I have is that it is so easy to restore a window, move it, then maximize it in the single monitor. With a large monitor, you are always positioning the windows manually, grabbing the edges and resizing them.

5. gnome

gnome

I hadn't thought about it until now, but you're right. On SOME apps, Windows keeps them where you put them... in my case, MetaStock... always opens to fill the 3 monitors I've sized it over. I'm not sure about eSignal, as I have it sized to fill a large monitor and it always does. My Firefox always opens where I've sized it to on a large monitor... However, IE8 does NOT open where I sized it to... seems to have a mind of its own... always opens the correct size, but not where I placed it on the large monitor.... MS Word respects neither how I've sized it nor where I placed it.... though it does open on the correct monitor. I find I need to place/size IE8 and Word once per session. If I turn them off, they will come back to where I've resized so long as I've not rebooted. Regarding apps on a large monitor which you don't want to fill the entire screen, I guess the correct description is "some windows retain their sizing and placement while others do not... depends upon the app".

I wonder if there is a utility which will FORCE the retention of window parameters? There is one to force the retention of icon placements when changing resolutions....

6. gnome

gnome

Addendum... I run a couple of system "cleanup" programs (perhaps more often than necessary)... it seems the window placing and sizing end up in files the cleanup program sees as one to be "cleaned".... such that, [only?] after cleaning the selected placement and sizing parameters may be lost.

So maybe perhaps the correct explanation is that "Windows will maintain window sizing and placement UNTIL there is a cleaning... after which time SOME apps may need to be resized and/or repositioned... "

7. bighog

bighog Guest

The application decides if the window setup will be "SAVED" or not. Windows itself is just an operating system and will only do so much, period.

Free stuff probably will not "SAVE" any screen setups. Thats a fact of computer life. If you can "SAVE" a setup and not pay for the use of the application consider yourself lucky.

Myself, i finally broke down and replaced the old, reliable 15 inch screens (6 of them) with 4 19 inch screens. That leaves 4 19" and 2 extra 17.4" old screens.

The 19" screens are NOT consumer widescreens. Widescreens are not for professionals in business except maybe gamers, movie buffs etc. You look at any professional trading desk at GS, brokers etc and you see the old aspect screens, square type.

So called trading desks from retail pictures with widescreens look stupid and lame at best. Do the math, older square screens are a bigger bang for the buck.

Height is what i want in a screen, NOT width. Widescreens take up desk space and add nothing to your viewing pleasure. Consumer screens are for rookies.

Greal looking screens, heoght , pivot, rotate, the works. thin edges, get them before they are gone. http://www.thenerds.net/SAMSUNG.Sam...fid=8&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=943BX^~^SAMSUNG#

PS: i did buy a new widescreen 22 1/2 inch and completly did not like it at all. like chicks, taller is better than widebodies. I gave the screen away to the teens sis and bro that do the lawn. hahahaha

8. gnome

gnome

Appears to be the case. The app "decides" not only IF, but if so, HOW.

I went through more apps and found one which opened the same way each time regardless of whether it had been sized and placed during the session.

Bottom line.... there is likely to be some resizing and re-positioning of some apps if displayed in other than full-screen mode.

For "bighog"... you know, right, that 22" widescreen is almost exactly the same height as 19" conventional? (I'm like you about the screens.... All of mine are UXGA or WUXGA, but 22" widescreen seems an OK size for trading and other.)

9. risk1

risk1

Solution: Use widescreen monitors in portrait mode. :)

10. gnome

gnome

Most have TN panels... the viewing angle sucks even worse in portrait mode...

#10     Apr 9, 2009