Multiple monitors-USB vs. DVI vs. HDMI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syswizard, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I need to add a multiple monitor set-up (4) to my trading workstation.
    Can anyone speak for the different techniques of connecting the monitors ? I see some can be daisy-chained together via USB connector. Also, is there much difference between the older DVI connectors vs. the new HDMI spec ?
    Is it best just to get a 4-monitor graphics card ?
    Any suggestions/recs greatly appreciated.

2. GTS

GTS

Personally if its an option (e.g. desktop not laptop) I would always opt for an on-board card solution rather than external (USB). USB bandwidth is limited and if it gets saturated it can impact the overall performance of your system in a very noticeable (and annoying) way

DVI vs HDMI doesn't matter much as they are both digital specs, the converters to go from one to another are trivial (and cheap) which should give you an indication of how close they are. HDMI can carry audio where DVI doesn't but that shouldn't matter much in a your application. If you have a choice I would go with HDMI.

3. The easiest, best, and most simple setup is to have a computer with proper expansion slots on the mobo.

Any x38 or x58 mobo will do nicely. All else is "trial and error"...

Please tell us your computer's brand and model... and the expansion slots on your mobo...

4. Specterx

Specterx

The best solution is to get a hardware setup with out-of-the-box support for however many monitors you need. Type of connector doesn't matter (though presumably, if you're going through the vid card, it would be a dedicated video output rather than USB).

Personally, I trade off a laptop and run 3 external monitors (in addition to the laptop screen) plus a TV connection that I use for playing movies and stuff. One monitor is run off the laptop's VGA port, to drive the other two and the TV I use these:

http://www.iogear.com/product/GUC2020DW6/

I had major problems with the VGA version of this but the usb-to-DVI works perfectly. I've used this setup for about 3 years with no problems and no failures in the adapter hardware. Works fine with charts, video, etc. Very rarely Windows will give you some trouble (screw up the resolutions or put your desktop on the wrong screen) if you're running lots of 3D apps that are forcing resolution changes, but nothing that won't be cleared by a restart.

The software regularly uses 30-50MB of RAM to drive the displays, so if you have an extremely limited amount of system RAM it could be a problem.

5. I use the exact same model from IOGear. Works very well.

I agree with upthread that a card sitting on the motherboard (PCIx or PCI) would give you the best through put. Only if you don't have enough empty slots or if you are on a laptop would you want to resolve to use the external USB-VGA/DVI/HDMI gadgets.

6. Thanks much guys....I'll let you know how I fare with my final set-up.

7. LeeD

LeeD

Many laptops allow running an external monitor (via VGA/DVI port) and the internal screen at the same time. Can both the internal screen and built-in VGA/DVI connection be used when a USB graphics card is attached?

8. Hey guys. If you want to add a multiple monitor set-up (4) to your trading workstation, just add an multi display usb video adapter? Because you can't ensure the monitor's display interface - VGA, DVI. or HDMI??? So, it's the best way to use an usb to dvi hdmi vga video adapter. Fortunately, you just add external 4 monitor, you know, most of usb display adapter can only add up to 6 external monitors. Check this well design and full compatible with windows 7 and Mac OS at:
    http://www.espow.com/wholesale-usb-multi-display-adapter-for-computer-add-on-a-second-monitor.html

9. LeeD

LeeD

It's nice if the devuice comes with all the thinkable adapters but I don't think the number of adapter included in the box should be taken into consideration when choosing a device. Adapters can be purchased separately and are very cheap.

#10     May 18, 2010