Multiple Monitor card choice help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drum, Mar 29, 2010.

1. I think you best and cheapest option is to go with 2 dual cards that are dvi and support your resolution. Like a previous poster said you can get them pretty cheap. You just need to make sure that you have the slots and room to support it. Newegg.com is where I go to get everything cpu related. Just when you do an advance search on video cards make sure it has dvi X2.

SLI/Crossfire means that you can merge the capability of multiple cards into 1. So if you had 2 cards you could have them run together to support one monitor. Its only valuable for gamers who need crazy refresh rates.

#11     Mar 31, 2010
  2. Even that notion is crazy. 80-100+ FPS?

Cinematic film runs at 24 FPS because thats the slowest speed our eyes and brain can process the info and perceive motion as continuous.

So... spending $Hundreds on video card(s) to bump the frame rate to 100 (which you can't see any better than 24 FPS).. is worth, what?? (Other than bragging rights at a LAN party..)

#12     Mar 31, 2010
  3. fosch

fosch

Does anyone know of any performance issues associated with using a DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter?

I'm considering buying a Dell T3500 and all the dual monitor video cards offered use DisplayPort. (i.e., Nvidia Quadro NVS 295). My monitors only have DVI inputs. :mad:

#13     Apr 1, 2010
  4. No problems. I've got 295s in one of my rig. Max resolution supported, however, is 1920x1200...

#14     Apr 1, 2010
  5. fosch

fosch

Thanks Scataphagos.

#15     Apr 1, 2010
  6. Drum

Drum

Well I think I have the problem solved - thanks to help from a friend .....

...........so thank you everyone - your help is appreciated !

Happy Trading !

#16     Apr 2, 2010
  7. jimbob42

jimbob42

Interested in your comments on the 295s. I like the idea as they would seem to be very quiet without a fan on them. How many are you running on your system?

They seem to be fine for a trading system and not one designed for gaming
    thanks

#17     Apr 7, 2010
  8. 3

No "need" to use 295s, however. I've tried 1 and 2, 295s in combo with both 290s and 285s. No difference in any of them, and all iterations appear compatible with others.

#18     Apr 7, 2010
  9. jimbob42

jimbob42

thanks

do you have a total of 6 monitors-- 2 on each card?

If I do a computer I want to be sure it's a quiet one

Jim

#19     Apr 7, 2010
  10. I have 5. Something to keep in mind.. if you mount 3 dualheads and run only 5 monitors, activate that 6th in Display/Settings, even if you don't attach a monitor to it...

#20     Apr 7, 2010