Multiple Internet Lines a good idea ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bpatrick, Nov 8, 2005.

1. bpatrick

bpatrick

Patoo,
    Is there something you have to set in XP Pro to make it automatically switch ethernet cards when one goes down ?
    Thanks

#11     Nov 13, 2005
  2. i have a hawking dual port wan router with cable-dsl - i use esignal and mb and neither will fail over due to software limitations - ex. if my cable inet goes out the router will fail over to dsl and esignal will hang because it has established a connection with a different dns/ip - you actually have to kill esignal and then start it again for it to work - you might check with your software vendor and see if they support it.

#12     Nov 13, 2005
  3. omniscient

omniscient Guest

i've had to implement a work-around for this scenario (if cust loses connectivity, it causes them a 15-20min application timeout) at my day job (which is actually at night :)). we are doing it with two routers, but i assume it's do-able with one. i'll look at the configs tonight and get back with the details if interested.

take care :)

omni

#13     Nov 13, 2005
  4. patoo

patoo

bpatrick, no it just happened with no effort on my part. Then I tested the feature by alternately unplugging the two internet feeds and it works!

However, I bet the applications running at the time have to be smart enought to disconnect from the non functioning connection and ask for a reconnect giving them the new ethernet card.

#14     Nov 13, 2005
  5. patoo,

Doe your system failover if you simply turn off the power on your primary modem, or does it only work if you remove the ethernet cable from the NIC?

Runningbear

#15     Nov 13, 2005
  6. patoo

patoo

Just did the test again to prove it to myself.

I have two Linksys firewall/routers BEFVP41's

Each is plugged into its own ethernet card

Each is also plugged into its own ISP (One is Charter cable and my backup is a local wireless outfit..no DSL in the boonies)

If I unplug the cable modem from the Linksys router, traffic goes out the wireless side

If I unplug the wireless modem from the second Linksys router, traffic goes out the cable modem side.

I can tell this because A) its unplugged and B) I'm using tracert to see the IP being used

Also, the program has to be smart enough to unhook from the unplugged ethernet card and reconnect to the other one. That must be the hitch that is causing the confusion.

#16     Nov 13, 2005