Multicore processor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoyBrutus, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Better than removing software , tweaking with some Services to be disabled could be a better way to reduce background Windows processes (google unecessary windows services).

Also about the affinity feature here is a link :http://www.orionsoftlab.com/tm/
    feature: Setting the CPU Affinity Mask
    Never used it.

#51     Oct 23, 2008
  2. I've heard there are some registry hacks and other tips and tricks, but I hesitate to do them. With regards to the services disabling, if I were confident I knew which did what, I would jump in there in a heartbeat and disable everything I don't use. But I don't have a bible on services and haven't taken the time to learn about it. Maybe one day.

Thanks to everyone for the great info. We now know how to dedicate tasks to cores!

#52     Oct 23, 2008
  3. Who are you to make this statement ?
    A developer there ?
    A principle ?

#53     Oct 23, 2008
  4. Exactly ? And why didn't we ever get back to the moon given today's awesome technology ?
    (Hint: "it's the people")
    We had great engineers back then.
    Not today....gone because of outsourcing.

#54     Oct 23, 2008
  5. You bet: 23 processes using.....good old...WINDOWS 2000 !
    It's about twice as efficient as Windows/XP.
    Anyone running a trading platform on a non-tuned XP operating system is asking for trouble. Anyone running XP with a McAfee or Symantec internet security program resident is absolutely insane.

#55     Oct 23, 2008
  6. Nod FTW!

#56     Oct 23, 2008
  7. I would go further and say anyone running McAfee or Symantec on anything is asking for trouble. I have had both of their programs trash systems of mine. I refuse to have anything to do with either of them.

#57     Oct 23, 2008
  8. #58     Oct 23, 2008
  9. new$

new$

Make it a positive-
    What do you guys run for security ?

:)

#59     Oct 23, 2008
  10. None....while trading.
    Why ?
    Have you seen ANY of these products with a "Ignore streaming data" option ? No....so TCP/IP traffic keeps them very active....and hoses your CPU.
    So here's an software niche that could be exploited:
    a security product that understands trading platform's nuances.

On second thought, I wonder if there is a way to configure Norton Internet Security to ignore all traffic related to a particular executable.
    Anyone try this ?

#60     Oct 24, 2008