Multicore processor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoyBrutus, Oct 21, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

Seems like that should have been a common sense feature all along...

#41     Oct 23, 2008
  2. gnome, I still have my first computer, a Commodore 64 with printer, 1200 baud modem, monitor, cassette data drive and 5.25" floppy! I even have one of the first Flight Simulator versions available for it. The screen updates every minute in flight, and there were lots of wrecks! For k=1 to 1000, next, end! Learned basic, bulletin boards and sprites on it in 1982. Moved on to a Trash 80, then a 286 and Macintosh 512. Amazingly, it still works! I've been offered a grand for all of it, but no, I will keep it.

#42     Oct 23, 2008
  3. Higher priority of a process does not mean that specific process is going to be managed by a specific core... affinity is different than priority; that's why I'm asking: why choose a dual-core CPU if with a quad-core you can distribute the allocations of the programs processess 'better' when the software is not multi-thread, etc? :confused: It's a question, clearly for the experts, here.

#43     Oct 23, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

My 2nd one was a Commodore... had a whopping 32K of RAM and a 300 baud modem.... cost only about $5,000... thank goodness that included a printer...

#44     Oct 23, 2008
  5. 32k of RAM, wow you're set for life with that much... :cool:

#45     Oct 23, 2008
  6. it's the so-called 'Fat Mac' (because of its 512K RAM vs. his 128K little brother); I had it, too!

#46     Oct 23, 2008
  7. What's the most money any of you paid for some of those older systems?

I remember a sign contractor telling me he paid $35,000 USD for a computer with a 50 processor (at the time I was buying the latest greatest PIII-550 and he said his was a "50")

#47     Oct 23, 2008
  8. I agree with you Bernard. If our priority programs (trading and charting) can be on dedicated cores and Bill Gates' trash "processes" can be on other cores, it just might give us what we paid for for the first time in history, and that is, a computer doing what we pay it to do without being bogged down by unnecessary bullshit.

Does anyone have fewer then 25 processes running at any given time?

I go to msconfig and and deselect normal startup. I also go to Add/ Remove Programs --> Remove Windows Components and remove all the crap not associated with trading, and I still get 25 processes running.

Does anyone know where to get the utility that saves the core dedication past reboot? You'd think that since these are "computers" they would be able to accomplish the objective... Where's that guy with a brain that Gnome said was actually workign on software? We need him on this! :)

#48     Oct 23, 2008
  9. gnome

gnome

My first trading rig cost $10,000.... had an XT class CPU and 2, 720K floppy drives. No HDD, but did have 14" color CRT. Included a satellite dish and receiver.

#49     Oct 23, 2008
  10. I had C 64 then C128 and then graduated to amigas (early 90's). Amiga 500 was IT. 512K which later was increased to 1mb of RAM. TYhose were the times!

Modem you betcha ..... 300 and my first entrance on the net, priceless! :D

#50     Oct 23, 2008