Multicore processor question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoyBrutus, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Well that part is wrong already. Depends on which software and what you are doing.

#11     Oct 21, 2008
  2. Shaqi

Shaqi

Am i right to say processing speed is only useful when downloading programs( which i can do one by one with a slower processor, im not in a rush) but once downloaded a bigger cache is better for running mutiple applications???

Duo Core 3.5Ghz Processor 4MB cache or

Quad Core 2.66GHz Processor 12MB cache

Im more interested in running 8 monitors with 16 esignal charts, 20 tradestation charts, forex broker front end, futures broker front end, email and play music at the same time which is better? Im not too concerened that about dwnloading in 2 secs but the ability to run these same time with no problems

#12     Oct 21, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

When test sites compare performance on various apps... at a given price point, the quads and duals trade back and forth as to which is faster on which app.... and the differences are usually small.

Bottom Line... just as Tums said, "it really makes no/little difference"..

#13     Oct 21, 2008
  4. For my type of daytrading, pretty much any computer is fine. I'm mostly concerned with just staying connected.

But, please expand on that.

#14     Oct 21, 2008
  5. Tums

Tums

Depending on what charting software you use. Chances are, more and more software will be multi-core capable.

The software I use is MultiCharts. It can distribute my charts over multiple cores.
    (but each chart is still confined to one CPU. The advantage only prevails if you have more than one chart.)

Furthermore, multicore can speed up backtest and optimization by many folds.

Here's a screen shot of my test run...
    [​IMG]
    http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1849141&highlight=optimization#post1849141

you can see my computer here:
    http://elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=1803608#post1803608

p.s. during trading days... my CPU peaks at less than 30%. Average reading is between 7% to 15%.
    Moral of the story... unless you have a special need... there is no need to get the most powerful CPU.

#15     Oct 21, 2008
  6. No
    Yes
    Quad

Your download is typically limited by the slowest of the datarate at each end.

To do what you are describing a Quad core with larger L2 cache is definitely best.

You've asked about the processor. Are you going to build a complete new system, or just replace a cpu? Or are you going to buy a new system?

#16     Oct 21, 2008
  7. NinjaTrader 7 will support multi core processors.

Unfortunately, we do not have specific recommended hardware settings to maximize the performance of NinjaTrader.

The general rule applies; the faster the machine, the smoother NinjaTrader will run.

Due b4 XMAS

#17     Oct 21, 2008
  8. Shaqi

Shaqi

Buy a new system

#18     Oct 21, 2008
  9. EEUT84

EEUT84

i was under the impression that clock speed is king, so an e8400 at 3ghz (which can be easily oc'ed to >4ghz) would perform better than a q6600 at 2.5ghz. as of right now, the best use for quad cores is encoding a vid while watching a blu-ray disc while gaming on another monitor while...etc. true or no?

#19     Oct 22, 2008
  10. Not if you have enough apps running (or they understand quads).

#20     Oct 22, 2008