Multicharts...???

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by jammy page, Oct 24, 2007.

1. That's so much better!!!

#21     Oct 26, 2007
  2. Thank you, ProfLogic.

We do create the roadmap according to the customers' requests and available resources. Thus, next MultiCharts version will have fast data loading, improved drawing tools, Navigator for rapid access to strategies and symbols and many other features requested by the customers.

#22     Oct 26, 2007
  3. another thing I know with multi charts is if you choose to automate you have to keep your strategy with them... I could be wrong about this but that was what I remember.

#23     Oct 26, 2007
  4. I'm using one-minute or two-minute bars and I need to reference total net realized and unrealized daily profits.

I did actually spend like 12 hours last weekend reading the introductory PDF manuals on EasyLanguage, trying to write functions and signals (now I realize that was PLEditor I was using) and yes, actually searching Google and Amazon. There really is not that much readily available on the net in one place, other than TradeStation, which I can't access.

I already searched the knowledgebase thing many, many times for things related to daily P&L, no luck.

I don't really understand the perspective of "just search Google" and no, you can't access our member forums with only a trial membership. Why should I have to spend hours clawing my way through a gauntlet of websites (most of which are selling services) or reading though abstruse manuals in order just to try to figure out my daily P&L? The fact is that there really are not that many resources out there to figure this out (outside of TS), and it is strange for you to not let people in the forums given this fact.

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to see that this is obviously a great product and it's going to get better. But from my perspective it's simply not accessible enough for the unwashed. Even for someone who took computer programming courses in college and is fairly at ease working with logic and algorithms.

What I'm saying is that it's not as "Easy" as you think it is, and there seem to be few practical resources out there.

My suggestion would be to make a big PowerLanguage Bible full of practical examples and applications. And also to make more useful resources available on the Multicharts website.

#24     Oct 26, 2007
  5. maxpi

maxpi

That sounds good. I have always thought that the programmers at tssupport were very thorough in their thinking and implementations. I am changing my asessment of the future versions of Multicharts way upwards, MC will likely become the clear choice for many of us..

#25     Oct 26, 2007
  6. maxpi

maxpi

Andrew, as long as you will be reading this thread anyhow, a question: can I have a strategy write a trendline the I can move manually on the chart and subsequently have that trendline be read by the strategy?

#26     Oct 26, 2007
  7. I do agree that we must improve our documentation and knowledge base. Meanwhile we suggest you to contact us if you have any questions. Here is a code that calculates daily PnL:

Code:
    var : netprofit_on_begin_of_day(0), daily_net_profit(0);

if date[1]<>date then
    	netprofit_on_begin_of_day = netprofit;

daily_net_profit = netprofit - netprofit_on_begin_of_day;

if date[1]<>date then
    	print("=================== new day ===========================");
    print(" daily netprofit is: ",daily_net_profit);

#27     Oct 26, 2007
  8. maxpi

maxpi

The software comes with lots of examples really and the easy language reference is available. I would focus on those and not google at first. Keep in mind that when you learn something your brain actually has to supply nutrients to new areas and the areas of the brain have to grow!! This is factually supported by science in the area of brain research. It is just very difficult at the beginning of something and over time it comes together for the new student.... I have posted more than once about brain nutrition, a search will get you lists of supplements that make a big difference.

#28     Oct 26, 2007
  9. Tums

Tums

#29     Oct 26, 2007
  10. Thank you very much Andrew. I understand that actually. Now that I see it, it is simple. I tried working with currentdate before but I was trying to add up the net profits from all the day's trades, but I couldn't figure out how to reference the individual trades. Obviously your way is much better.

Thank you MaxPi, I guess I'll have to quadruple my intake of vitamins and supplements...

#30     Oct 26, 2007