Multicharts...???

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by jammy page, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Tums

Tums

I have also written posts to help people to use Multicharts (where the MC support failed to solve the problem).
    I have recommended people to use MC.
    I have also recommended people to use other charting packages (but not in a MC thread).

Go check it yourself.
    No need to get all work up because you can't handle the problem. Maybe you should not be in customer service.

;-)

#11     Oct 26, 2007
  2. maxpi

maxpi

Decision tree processes can get different results depending if you "and" or "or" a bunch of statements or if you use a nested loop, I recommend the nested loop. I don't know if Multicharts carried this over or not. There were discussions at purebytes.com about how Easy Language did not do math operations in the normal order and some proof that they did not, I recommend using brackets to force math operations to be what you want them to....

#12     Oct 26, 2007
  3. Tums

Tums

Tradestation evaluates a statement from right to left.

Multicharts evaluates a statement from left to right.

It should NOT make a difference in 99.99% of the situations. But if you are debugging an error, bear this difference in mind and make adjustments accordingly.

#13     Oct 26, 2007
  4. There are a number of developers, including myself, that will use nothing but MultiCharts. We need a dynamic environment that is geared toward professional traders that is still a comfortable place for newer traders to learn and trade from.

MultiCharts is not perfect, no software charting package is but of all the options out there, in my opinion, there is no other choice. I trade for a living and I want the confidence that when I sit down to trade, my software and platform is solid and stable to handle all of my needs.

The automated process that Multicharts is building is still in its infancy but knowing the attention to detail that their designers have, I know this will be a robust addition to their package in the not so distant future. I have an automated program I 'm currently in the process of integrating into MC and I'm doing it confidently.

MC is even working on a data environment to surpass the reliability of TS and eSignal. I like MC because of their openmindedness and never-give-up attitude. They haven't given up like TS and other software charting packages have.

#14     Oct 26, 2007
  5. jammy page wrote:
    to which you answered:
    In fact, most of the indicators and signals (over 200) are built-in and are provided together with the platform. Customers don't have to pay for those and can use them right after intalling MultiCharts. That's why they can't be called add-ons. Apart from those built-in indicators, there's also a number of add-ons that need to be paid for.

We do appreciate your comments if they are well-grounded and try to respond and fix the problems as quickly as possible.

#15     Oct 26, 2007
  6. The lack of a select/case statement was one huge omission in Easy Language. Not sure if they added it in the online 8.3 version or not. Having to use all of those nested if-then-else statements was a "bear" in TS2000i. Did multicharts add Select/Case ?

#16     Oct 26, 2007
  7. Tums

Tums

Quotetracker uses built-in indicators. They cannot be removed, nor can you add your own indicators.

With Tradestation, you can add your own indicators or signals.

You can also add indicators to Multicharts. As a matter of fact, Multicharts has already added them for you when they sell you the package.

#17     Oct 26, 2007
  8. You are absolutely right. We often have to emulate strange or outright wrong behaviour of EasyLanguage. If we don't do that, our customers think that MultiCharts calculates their scripts incorrectly. They assume that TradeStation is totally flawless since it's the standard in the industry.
    Our reasoning doesn't usually have much effect on the customers and we simply loose them. That's why we often emulate TradeStation's weird behaviour or even errors.

It should be noted though that we didn't emulate various errors in calculation of signals. That is why there are considerable differences in signals' functioning in MultiCharts vs TradeStation.

In future, we are going to gradually give up EasyLanguage emulation. But we will create the backward compatibility mode to persuade the customers switch to our platform.

#18     Oct 26, 2007
  9. Tums

Tums

Instead of looking at my response as negative, let me show you how you could have seen my reply:

See, don't you feel better if you see the World in a happier mood?

#19     Oct 26, 2007
  10. The current MultiCharts version doesn't have case/switch yet, but we are going to add it next year. Unfortunately, we don't have enough resources to implement the feature this quarter.

#20     Oct 26, 2007