MultiCharts Standard vs MultiCharts.NET

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Dan_public, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Mark,

Hi. I decided to go with NinjaTrader as my main charting and analytical engine. In general, I like the MC usability and UI better, and yes, it has interoperability with TradeStation EasyLanguage code. But I finally realized that EasyLanguage/PowerLanguage is too limited for what I want to do.

Unlike MC, which added the .NET version recently, NT has had .NET/C# as its scripting engine for a long time. Which means that there is a lot of .NET core experience in the NT user base and a huge number of pre-coded indicators and strategies. More importantly NT's programming engine can extend far outside of the charting package. As a .NET programmer, this provides me with a huge amount of flexibility. That won over the day for me.

I agree about AmiBroker - it is a great system and I put in about 2000-3000 hours in AmiBroker programming. That was 10-15 years ago. Now, I think there may be better options using the the cloud-based analytical engines from Google, Amazon, and Microsoft. The learning curve is much steeper, but the end result will be better. Imagine back testing strategies with ALL NYSE and NASDAQ symbols and optimizing with dozens of parameters. Pie in the sky? Maybe, but I'm going to give it a shot.

Best regards,

Dan.

#11     Jul 31, 2017
    Sprout and MarkBrown like this.
  2. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

I missed the part you could program, I would have thought that MC.net would have been the way to go as it has so many feed options to choose from. I think you can basket optimize now with AB, as it has a growing serious institutional following.

#12     Jul 31, 2017
  3. I'd love to know SPECIFICALLY what are limitations with Easy Language ?
    Doesn't Multicharts have a DLL API interface so that you can call DLL's written in C++, Powerbasic, etc. if you need something special that is not doable in EL ?

#13     Oct 15, 2017
  4. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

yes you can do all that since 20 years ago. but either .net or amibroker would be better for you.

#14     Oct 15, 2017
  5. Only one simple question: Why ?

#15     Oct 15, 2017
  6. MarkBrown

MarkBrown

easy language was great in its day (so many limitations i can not even begin) - if i were you i would focus on multicharts .net product or amibroker. but do what you want i don't care..

#16     Oct 15, 2017
  7. I get that a lot....and never any specifics.
    I've coded some pretty hairy indicators and signals in EL....and never ran into a limitation or problem.
    Note: Moving to dot-net is a daunting and time-consuming endeavor....not sure it's worth it for me who is a scripting guru. Instead of trading, I'd be learning dot-net for the next 12 months....not good.
    Also, interestingly.....Amibroker is one-fifth the price of Multicharts lifetime.
    Can it be that good at that price ?

#17     Oct 16, 2017
  8. fxshrat

fxshrat

Yes, even though it is cheaper it is better. Price doesn't tell anything about quality, functionality, power,... And over the years MC just tries to catch up with AB as they try to copy functionalities (not to mention they still haven't reach the same high speed not a bit. As aside.. since you were talking about cheaper, the guys at AB offer a free API, MC don't).
    Anyway here you can find just a few AmiBroker usage examples (just visual ones and those examples are still just scratching on the surface) http://amibrokerforum.proboards.com/thread/100/achievable-using-tiny-bit-imagination
    Try all that in MC/TS.

#18     Oct 16, 2017
  9. Thanks for that FX....but the learning curve is scary....and I'm not sure I need all of those fancy charts. My needs are basic automated trading using my custom signals with a good backtesting platform.

#19     Oct 17, 2017
  10. fxshrat

fxshrat

Honestly your response is a quite amusing if comparing it to your previous post and it’s a typical MC community yadda yadda yadda response after getting enlightened.

You were asking whether one is worth its price being cheaper than the other one. So since I know both ones I responded with some facts about it (which cover just few percent of the whole story). That’s all.

Now surprisingly you just need a basic software having basic features. That’s funny. Then I’m asking you, why have you paid $1000-$1500 if you just need basic features? Just to make you feel good by saying “Look, I have paid $1500 for a software license”?

If you just need basic features then either MC is overpriced as you seem to confirm it as being just a basic software or you have paid too much as you seem to need just that - basic features. If you just need basic features then AB just have that too as it incorporates Basic+Advanced+Professional. Three in one (at quarter of price). So what I’m trying to say is that your argument about basics is a non-argument.

And as for basic BT
    Code:
    Buy = C > EMA(C, 200);
    Sell = Cross(EMA(200), C);
    Two basic lines for covering one basic thing. Very extraordinarily scary. It’s fright night today and Freddy Krueger being near you.

Autotrading available there too. Terrifying goosebumps. Michael Myers completes the dynamic duo. Very scary all that.

#20     Oct 17, 2017
    MarkBrown likes this.