Multicharts - Anything else I should know ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Anekdoten, Jun 7, 2008.

1. This thread seems to be about multisymbol, multi-time-tick-volume-frame in Multicharts. I am sure some readers have been trialing MC with generally favorable impression. However, there seems to be some limitations to the multi-timeframe implementation:

1. Speed - Plotting a daily @ES.D as symbol 1 and 1 hr @ES.D as symbol2 is quite slow compared to TS which is nearly instantaneous. This should be cached data so the speed is not limited by new data downloads unless MC is forcing completely new downloads. This is also on a Quad core WinXP with 4 GB.

2. Limitation to about 500 bars. You can't plot more than about 500 bars for the 1 hr @ES.D symbol2 even if you set it to >1500 bars back.

[​IMG]

#21     Jun 28, 2008
  2. Hi tmarket,

1. The speed is slower compared to TS. This is caused by the fact that MultiChars downloads data for each individual session, which is a slower operation compared to downloading and showing all the data at once. However, our technology makes working with charts more convenient: as the data is downloaded from the internet, the user can see it as it comes in – not all the data at the same time. We take the data from the TS8 storage and don’t download it from the Internet again.
    2. To see all the data, use the “From…To” request format instead of “Bars Back”. We cut off the requests on purpose – to avoid performance issues.

Regards.

#22     Jun 30, 2008
  3. ybfjax

ybfjax

MC can do what Sierra Charts has done. In ADDITION to providing connectivity to the third-party datafeeds, you could also setup your own data collection servers of popular markets. This could be included for 1 full year and then perhaps $100 a year. Or even better, free with lifetime license.

But I wholehardly agree with the other responses, getting rid of 3rd party data sources defeats the purpose of what put multicharts on the map. Flexibility.
    If you really are going the automated trading route.

I think proflogic was talking about having a backbone connection in his house. Not sure how much that would cost. But actually it is much more efficient to either co-locate your computers/servers with an existing datacenter (basically leasing the rackspace/connectivity) or just lease servers and connect via RDC. I was able to get a killer deal where I could get a quad-core AMD with 2gb ram and win 2003 server for under $100/mo.

But the point is you would have an always on, multiple backbone internet and computer connection that you would not have to worry about disconnecting. All you'd have to do is get two hard drive and clone the second one. there's your backup. But those things stay on all the time. (maybe reset on the weekends).

I would have recommended VPS, but for the price to get a decent windows vps, you might as well just get your own server and you have FULL control over resources. VPS do in the background limit your resources, regardless of how "Guaranteed they may be.

#23     Jun 27, 2009