multichart vs amibroker ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mcgene4xpro, May 21, 2010.

1. M.ST.

M.ST.

S. Bokov, I have another bad news for you.

Since I never trust a snake when it opens its mouth I did a quick investigation using Google search and it has turned out that the snake has been spitting misleading information once again.

I just could not believe that what has been claimed would be true. I just could not believe that Tomasz, a tech guy, would not have thought about high resolution support already.

Now please take a look at this older AmiBroker Wiki article of 2014! http://www.amibroker.com/kb/2014/09/24/make-icons-larger-on-high-dpi-displays/ It is guiding you on how to set toolbar buttons if using high-DPI monitors such as 4k ones. How do you find that story? It tells a story that is 180° different to your one. Interesting, isn’t it. How come? Years prior to your “sensational new” innovation of support of 4k monitors there has been a small check box available already. That setting is even older than that article. As far as I can tell it has been part of AmiBroker for at least a decade. Now that’s what I call forward thinking.

I did some further investigation and it has guided me to the most recent release AmiBroker 6.19 where they seem to have enhanced buttons supporting high DPI a little bit more. http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/2016/12/16/amibroker-6-19-0-beta-released/ And it’s not even praised as sensation. It’s rather casually mentioned.

Finally I would like to say that once again you have embarrassed yourself. But thank you very much for your first class entertainment before Christmas eve!

Happy holidays!

As a side note I will wait a while buying 4k monitor. First I don't need one yet. Secondly they will be cheaper in a few months. Why wasting money on something providing rather small benefit.

#51     Dec 24, 2016
  2. M.S.T.

Not sure how the animosity started between you and Stan, but I am still curious about the advantages vs. disadvantages of both products. You have mentioned speed being a huge advantage with AB. Do you think AB' s portfolio manager runs efficiently (speed, data, execution) compared to MC?

#52     Dec 25, 2016
  3. poorboy

poorboy

^THIS!^

#53     Jan 1, 2017
  4. fxshrat

fxshrat

What do you not understand about it? The other guy on the previous page has posted examples. Here on these two pages http://amibrokerforum.proboards.com/thread/100/achievable-using-tiny-bit-imagination there you have another several ones, mainly charting ones since other features are more difficult to show visually. Do you think MC software has such flexiblity available also? I have not seen it. It is called multi charts yet you are trapped by not being able to chart anything you are able to come up with. Mr. Bokov won't like those examples, I'm betting on it.

As for languages, AFL is similar to C and very easy to use if you are familiar with programming languages. Just like it is has been written about it elsewhere multi times already AFL is not the only language you can use within AmiBroker. AmiBroker offer a free C/C++ API on their website's download page. A NET API is available too here http://www.dotnetforab.com/

#54     Jan 3, 2017
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  5. Handle123

Handle123

The problems I have had with most charting packages are the more there is within, more tendencies for problems, and for beginners to take longer to learn to trade. Most don't know how what price does first and indicators always lag unless it has a period of one, not to say they are useless, but unless one knows what price does in relationship to indicators, one is wasting their time. Then five years later, you using a moving average and maybe Bollinger Bands. I am all for whatever charting software that has less bells and whistles but platforms you can program to do at very least all your risk management once trade is entered.

Bottom line, if you can't read price, and understand what is normal price action and abnormal to stay away, you won't be here long no matter what charting package you are using.

#55     Jan 3, 2017
  6. Surgo

Surgo

Was not aware that a C++ API and .NET API were available (though you have to pay for the latter one). I take back what I said about rolling their own language, then. If AmiBroker ever decides to properly support options, I'll be happy to use them.

FWIW, being "similar" to C is not good enough. You need both API and ABI compatibility. But since there's a real C++ API, that's good enough.

#56     Jan 4, 2017
  7. Is there anyone here who have actually used Amibroker for live trading?

I have a licence and like it for backtesting. However, when it comes to live trading Im not so sure. I will run in total about 75 strategies on different timeframes and different markets - futures and stocks. Not sure how to do this, if i need to use a separate Analysis for each strategy or to try to code all into one analysis, which i believe will be very complicated and messy.

Anyone here with any experience in live autotrading with Amibroker under such conditions?

#57     Nov 8, 2017
  8. I would recommend against Amibroker. Thomas Janko is an asshole and does not deserve your money.

#58     Nov 18, 2017
  9. That is not a very helpful comment. Can you please elaborate?

#59     Nov 18, 2017
  10. themickey

themickey

Riiiight. So who is Thomas Janko?
    I know of a Dr. Tomasz Janeczko.
    Talking of assholes, may I suggest add some antiseptic to yours....then get facts right first before misaligning people.

https://www.amibroker.com/about.html

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    #60     Nov 18, 2017