multichart vs amibroker ?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by mcgene4xpro, May 21, 2010.

1. so your answer, no difference and there are other factors that is prior to trading platform to worry about in terms of execution speed..

Got your answer and thank you

#41     Aug 16, 2010
  2. themickey

themickey

I've been using Amibroker for about 9 years and do lots of formula work on it.
    I only trade stocks.
    Basically I design new indicators to give buy and sell signals and to find best trading opportunities.
    Initially most of my coding was done by a professional Amibroker coder, now i do much of my own.
    The process to learn 'afl' Amibroker formula language is quite difficult, I would not suggest to anyone to take it on lightly, unless they were already very computer savvy and prepared to put in thousands of hours of learning.
    IMO, Amibroker itself is very fast, very versatile, backtesting etc is great.
    I can scan 2000 stocks for numerous different signals and the process would take about 10 seconds.
    Charts are good, you can nearly do what ever your imagination requires, ....nearly.
    I don't use it for intraday stuff, only end of day, so cannot comment on intraday.
    I would not suggest using Amibroker for a trading platform, I would suggest using it predominately as a research tool.
    I attempted it once as a trading platform with the use of 3rd party macros, but it was very complicated and time consuming and I finally gave up.
    I've overcome the issue of trading using Amibroker as my primary software by trading a slower/longer time frame.
    Sorting stocks into watchlists etc is excellent.
    Watchlists may include energy stocks, gold stocks, stocks to or not to trade, indexes, those newly listed, etc.
    Hope this helps.

#42     Aug 16, 2010
    honest-trader likes this.
  3. The most useful response i got so far. Thank you very much and i appreciate sharing your experience..

:) :) :)

#43     Aug 16, 2010
  4. I want to revive this 6 year old thread to get some opinions about the latest versions of Multicharts vs. Amibroker.

I was chastised in another thread for stating that Amibroker was known (through experience) to be an unreliable auto-trading platform. I'm not a programmer, but from what I've read, it has something to with the way arrays are structured in one platform vs. the other.

I've successfully implemented MC auto-trades through IB API for 2+ years now, but I'm always open to adding efficiency to my trading. Over time I realized that I no longer need the charts, or bells and whistles in MC. A pure (fast) execution platform that handles data and trades would be great, while MC could still be used for testing purposes.

#44     Dec 18, 2016
    honest-trader likes this.
  5. A_B

A_B

MultiCharts:
    - PowerLanguage is almost fully compatible with TradeStation EasyLanguage
    - Many brokers including my favorite Interactive Brokers support automatic trading with MultiCharts

AmiBroker:
    - Very good for backtesting trading strategies on large portfolios such as all NASDAQ or NYSE stocks
    - Fastest backtesting engine

#45     Dec 19, 2016
  6. fxshrat

fxshrat

AmiBroker is more powerful and more flexible. Another thing is AmiBroker stands for innovation while MC rather stands for copying things (always coming late). Is MC still a such ressource hog? The last time I tested it it was painfully slow.

Autotrading in AB runs just fine. As aside if you think you can do better than them there is the source code of the autotrading interface being provided. (Do MC provide source code?) http://www.amibroker.com/devlog/2013/06/03/ibcontroller-1-3-8-source-codes-released/
    Do you think you can better than what is written in the source code or do you think there is a problem in the code? Show it to AmiBroker then if you think you are so much smarter. I doubt it.

#46     Dec 19, 2016
  7. This is a valid point. MC is very protective of their intellectual property, but keep in mind, just because they don't provide the source code doesn't mean the process has been coded more efficiently in AB's ibcontroller. Thank you for your opinion.

#47     Dec 19, 2016
  8. Hi Profitlocker,

Please be careful - AmiBroker loves cheap guerilla marketing.

Regarding innovation - I can list a lot of features where we were the initiators and literally all other products in our industry followed us. Multithreading support in optimization and charting is one example. If you can compare our What’s New release posts with those from other products, you can easily see who innovated first.

The latest feature we just released is support for 4K monitors. The way you interact with information is important, right? Take a look at attached pictures and see for yourself that the latest version of AB is not DPI-aware, which makes their UI barely usable.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8aJ8Xod2ZdxZGpYMmtmcWpOX1E/view
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8aJ8Xod2ZdxclUwbWxONjdOZDg/view

Conclusion: Please test drive all products yourself and make your choice based on facts rather than hype.

All the best!
    MultiCharts Team

#48     Dec 23, 2016
  9. Surgo

Surgo

None of what you said actually means anything. Standing for innovation vs standing for copying things? WTF is this even supposed to mean? The only thing that matters is how well you can do what you need to do in a platform.

Multicharts does support a .NET interface, which I like. Though you can tell it was originally a shell around its PowerLanguage interface because the API and capabilities in some parts are truly awful. AmiBroker seems competent enough but it rolled its own programming language (ARGH). I own a Multicharts license, but I don't use it much anymore because now I pretty much only trade options.

#49     Dec 23, 2016
  10. M.ST.

M.ST.

Oh look who is there, the unbearable Bokov and his fake news and his witch hunting of software users.

Really? What are the dates because I can't see them (the "first" ones).

As I see it and by reading the public development logs provided by amibroker.com (the ones I have no affiliation with other than being a user of their software) here there are just a few more important examples than 4k monitor support
    - 64-bit AmiBroker got released in 2006 (MC 2012?).
    - Multithreading got implemented in 2010 in AmiBroker (MC 2012?).
    - Portfolio backtesting and trading got implemented years before Multicharts.
    - Custom backtester years before MC.
    - Proper currency conversion has been there in AmiBroker years before MC. And MC don't even understand the maths as shown here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Shocking, a tech firm that failed at elementary school.
    - Monte Carlo functionality once again pretty much later than AmiBroker. Even Quantshare has been faster.
    - faster speed... MC still trying

So I would say that fxshrat does have a little point.

4k monitors? Sigh, who uses them? 1 out of 1000? But if you are happy with it.

And stop witch hunting me too (your most beloved tactic). You will be wrong here too.

#50     Dec 23, 2016