Multi Monitor Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OldTrader, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Too funny AND very sad, but true.
    That is why I chose a Dell that still had XP on it.

But anything more than 4 Gigs of RAM won't be used by 32-bit software. You would need the 64-bit version of a Windows OS in order to fully realize the additional memory.

:D

#41     Jan 29, 2008
  2. Definitely you made a nice deal there on the Vostro.

OldTrader

#42     Jan 30, 2008
  3. Now you tell me....I just paid $300+ to Dell for a new 440. I always like to pay top dollar! LOL.

So far I don't think I get a check. But I'm rooting for the democrats to "include" me. I'll definitely spend it. Anything to do my part for the economy. LOL.

OldTrader

#43     Jan 30, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

There is always a risk when you add a 3rd party card... especially when each card might want you to install its driver.

#44     Jan 30, 2008
  5. gnome

gnome

$175 is good. Usually can't get one used on eBay for that.

Addendum... I just checked eBay, and there is one for $175. That you?

#45     Jan 30, 2008
  6. just saw an ad for a slimline HP pretty loaded with ram and accessories for 399. Comes with an Nvidia card, forget what one, ad was in USA Today if you want to find it. Anyway, if it has a pci-e 16x slot available, I'm buying this puppy. Will pop a quad card in there. $250 for NVS 440 on Ebay. $450 for whole shebang. Adding another monitor anyway so I will have 5. Perfect!

May have to nuke the Vista however and purchase (or borrow a copy of) XP.

edit: will have to look for that 440 for 175! Aren't all 440's set up for a quad display (max)?

#46     Jan 30, 2008
  7. gnome

gnome

A caution on a "slimline" case... if the PSU blows, not so easy to find a replacement. (I had one once, PSU burned out... had to send the unit in for servicing.) But if you really want a slimline case, Dell has a special on a Vostro model for $449, to compare to the $399 HP.

As for the 440... 1-4 monitors, as you like. Suggest you move fast on the one for $175... wouldn't expect it to last long at that price.

#47     Jan 30, 2008
  8. Are you running multiple video cards on that 4400? :)

#48     Jan 30, 2008
  9. I need to add a 2nd monitor to a Dell 5100C mini tower. Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding the right video card for dual monitors? I think I need a low profile card but I'm having a hell of a time finding the right one for this model.

#49     Jan 30, 2008
  10. gnome

gnome

You need to tell the board what video card you have... any low profile card will be OK so long as it's compatible with your other.

If you're using the onboard video now, you'll have to look inside and tell the board what kind of "slot" you have... probably PCIE or AGP, if any.

#50     Jan 30, 2008