Multi Monitor Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OldTrader, Jan 25, 2008.

1. gnome

gnome

No disagreement, and I believe the 290 has a manufacturer's 3-year warranty.

#31     Jan 27, 2008
  2. Try as I might, I am stymied at attempting to order this online. LOL! No wonder Dell is trading near it's lows. First, there doesn't appear to be a way to say "give me 2 video cards" on their regular online order form. If you try to order it as an accessory, the card does not show anywhere. And if you try to call sales for help, they're closed (eventhough their website says they're open). Customer service you need an order number. Technical help you need a tag number. Complete boneheads.

If you know of a way to do this, let me know.

OldTrader

#32     Jan 27, 2008
  3. wwx

wwx

Piece of cake. Just check the radio button "Dual 256MB PCIe x16 nVidia NVS 290, Dual Monitor DVI Capable [add $80]."

#33     Jan 27, 2008
  4. LOL! Thanks. Guess who's the bonehead?

OldTrader

#34     Jan 27, 2008
  5. what apps were they running that needed 4-8g of ram???? that article is full of shit.

i have 3g with vista and i found it to be overkill. i think 2g is probably fine, but the extra 1g was only $20 so it's no biggie.

#35     Jan 28, 2008
  6. Just to update, it turns out that the Dual 256MB PCIe x16 Nvidia NVS 290 option that you can check in their online form does not refer to 2 cards. I called their rep, who gave me a rather convoluted explanation, but it is not 2 cards, it operates if I understood correctly with some type of toggle switch.

Nvidia supposed makes a quad montior card in the 290 series. But Dell would not install it in the computer. LOL. They also would not install 2 dual monitor cards.

What I ended up doing is buying a Nvidia quadro NVS 440 card, which Dell will not install either. But they'll sell it to me, and send it to me. The computer will be shipped with the NVS 290 installed in it.

Here's my question now: If I install the 440 and leave the 290, does that give me room for 6 monitors? Or should I take out the 290? I could sell it on Ebay I suppose.

Thoughts?

By the way, the rep evidently has some latitude in pricing and options on the computer. It was worth it to talk to him. If you'd like his name and number just PM me.

OldTrader

#36     Jan 28, 2008
  7. Your PC can handle 6 monitors easy, and with those cards, you could even run 24 inchers at their top resolution 1920 X 1200 for analog, and possibly DVI too. The question is, do you want 6 monitors?

With only 2 cards, and both the same brand, your PC won't even skip a beat. You will have to go into your monitor properties and enable all the monitors however. You may also have to set the resolution, but the whole process takes only a few seconds.

#37     Jan 28, 2008
  8. Gnome, you hit the nail on the head!

Because of my concerns with Windows Vista, I decided to go with a Dell Vostro 400 instead of the Dell XPS-420, which ONLY comes with Vista.

Check out the "refurbished" inventory on the Dell Business Outlet site. You can usually get an XP machine there, and also save yourself atleast $300 off from a new Dell machine, and yet still get the very same 1-year warranty!

If you want to upgrade the 300watt power supply, simply go talk to the good people at PC Power & Cooling. They make FIRST CLASS power supplies and are one of the few aftermarket PSU makers for Dell computers. ( ie. the "Silencer 470" goes for $99.00 ).

I just ordered the Dell Vostro 400 late last week. ( Intel Core-2 Duo 2.66 with a 1333 front side bus and 2 Gigs of PC-6400, 800MGhz RAM ). $499.00

Will most likely grab a BFG Technologies GeForce 6200 PCI-slot card that is 256mb and supports dual-monitors for $70.00 at NewEgg to get up to 4 monitors.

There aren't many PCI slot cards around anymore, but I have spoken to the techies at BFG and this video card ought to be compatible with my GeForce 8300GS PCI-Express card that is already installed in the Vostro 400.

#38     Jan 29, 2008
  9. #39     Jan 29, 2008

10. I think his Uncle...uh...Sam is going to send him some $. :D

btw, if like me you have two Sammy 305T then one GeForce 8600 GT with dual DVI-I dual links is fine. :cool:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...48551&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEBLET03SHIP

PS... I do have a PNY Quadro NVS 440x16 256MB dual head available...$359 last August...now $175 while it lasts.

#40     Jan 29, 2008