Multi Monitor Video Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OldTrader, Jan 25, 2008.

1. The T-3400 comes with the Nvidia NVS 290 x16. In their specifications they say that if you want 4 monitors, you can use the Nvidia NVS 290 x1 PCIe card. About $150. I don't get the difference between x1 and x16....don't understand the nomenclature.

By the way, is there any reason to upgrade the power supply to 525Watts from 375 Watts?

OldTrader

#21     Jan 27, 2008
  2. I think the computer that landed the first moon mission had 64k of ram.

John

#22     Jan 27, 2008
  3. gnome

gnome

The x16 card fits into the x16 PCIE slot on the mobo. The x1 card fits into ANY PCIE slot on the mobo... the bottom part of the card where it plugs into the slot is longer or shorter for the various sizes. The x16 has larger bandwidth, but the x1 is adequate for trading.

You can't alter a PSU to "upgrade" it... just replace with bigger. The PSU is one part not to skimp on the quality.

#23     Jan 27, 2008
  4. RAM restrictions are the only reason I am upgrading. My Dell 4400 has a limit of 1 gig, which now maxes out now when running too many DOM entry screens along with my charting, and I run XP. Just a recent prob, but still want 2 gigs with XP, would get min of 3 with Vista. I like having plenty of excess cause future software upgrades may be hogs whether its my OS, TA software, or broker software.

Just my opinion. Besides, desktop RAM is cheap unless you buy it from Dell!

#24     Jan 27, 2008
  5. Jeez, the guy makes a few bucks on an ES short and next thing you know he's upgrading computers.....:p

#25     Jan 27, 2008
  6. Ahahaha!.. yeah, strange, eh?!
    :cool:

#26     Jan 27, 2008
  7. I took a look at the tech specifications on the T3400. Here's what they said about video card slots:

Slots
    2 PCI-e x16 graphics slots
    1 PCI-e x8 slot wired as x4
    3 PCI 32bit/33MHz slot with support for 5v cards

So in the case of the T3400 it looks to me like you're right, using 2 quadro NVS 290 PCIe x16 cards would be the ticket, one that comes with the computer, and one that you would buy separately and install.

Anyone disagree with that?

Thanks again for all the input.

OldTrader

#27     Jan 27, 2008
  8. Glad to tell you Pabst that I made a little more than the cost of a new computer. :p

OldTrader

#28     Jan 27, 2008
  9. bighog

bighog Guest

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PNY-FX370&src=

http://www2.pny.com/NVIDIA-Quadro-FX-370-PCIE-font-colordc0431NEWfont-P2532C329.aspx

this is what you want...........best card for the money......PNY came out with these professional cards with Directx10, 3D at a entry price for a professional card in hopes you will later upgrade to the super expensive ones.

They will work terrific for trading 2D stuff (thats all charting etc is ) but later if you neeed 3D (vista with interface etc euro etc) you will be good to go, Dierctx10 is what all the new whizbang games will have, so be prepared. Now i never suggest you play games on a trading puter. But this card is an "ALL AROUND" dam good card. Have fun

lets have another week where +6/-6 opening range breakout stuff makes you a champion .. .. :) :eek:

#29     Jan 27, 2008
  10. wwx

wwx

OldTrader

It's possible to configure a T3400 online and select two NVS 290 cards with a full Dell warranty. There's no need to buy the second one separately.

wwx

#30     Jan 27, 2008