Multi-Monitor Video Card Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Boomer, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Boomer

Boomer

So I am upgrading my monitors...I am getting four 27 inchers that run at 2560x1440. My current PC has 2 video cards and each have 2 display port connections. These monitors I'm getting only come with dual link DVI and VGA connections...

So, I'm wondering can I get an adapter and run the dual link DVI cable into an adapter that plugs into my video cards display port spot?

I have read where these signals are not the same, but other things have said it will just pass the signal through to my video card...

I'm confused, and would rather not have to buy new video cards if I don't have to...

Thanks for any insight.

2. Boomer

Boomer

That was my first thought, or using an adapter, but then I read this:

"DisplayPort is the newest digital display interface standard introduced by VESA. The format supports both digital video and audio. Here's a simple solution for connecting your DisplayPort equipment devices using DVI-D cables to your exisiting DVI devices. This simple adapter is all you need to convert from one format to the other.

Max. Supported Resolution - 1920x1200 (250MHz)
    Supports 1080p (1920x1080) resolution.

Note: This is a passive adapter. While DisplayPort connectors are capable of passing a DVI signal, DisplayPort and DVI signals are basically different and not compatible with each other. This adapter does not actively convert a DisplayPort signal into a DVI signal. In order for this adapter to function properly, you must have a DisplayPort source device capable of producing and passing out a DVI signal through the DisplayPort jack."

From this page: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=4827&seq=1&format=2

And the monitor's resolution will be 2560x1440

3. Boomer

Boomer

4. Sounds like it would be easier to choose different monitors that natively support DisplayPort instead of wasting time and money finding compatible adapters/cables.

Are you sure your video cards can power the higher resolution?

5. Agree. Or, get 27" monitors @ 1920x1200. That way you could use DVI-DP adapter if necessary.

6. NVS 295s?

7. Boomer

Boomer

Yes, currently I have 2 NVS 295 cards...

I'm dead set on these monitors...so I am thinking I need to get a new video card/s to run these 4 monitors, preferably a card with dual link dvi connections or something that can easily convert to that format...

Any thoughts on which card/s?

8. Boomer

Boomer

Here is a card (Firepro 2460) that can power 4 monitors...and it comes with 4 DVI to mini-disply port adapters...but my question remains...these appear to be simple DVI adapters and not the "Dual Link DVI" adapters...

So would this card be worthless for my setup?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814195099

9. Reading Newegg reviews, one buyer says this card works properly @ 2560x1440 if you have the proper drivers. However, overall rating of this card isn't so hot. Don't know if single or dual link.

Most dual/multi cards these days have gone to DP instead of DVI... space saving concerns for the connector and higher bandwidth potential, I'd guess.

#10     Jun 28, 2013