Multi-monitor set-up for a LAPTOP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simba, May 14, 2004.

1. traderob

traderob

Zuizo,
    Thanks, just what I need.

#11     May 18, 2004
  2. gnome

gnome

You have to check the specs. Most support a VGA output to an external monitor which displays the same as the normal screen. However, that is not "dual monitor" in the extended desktop sense.

#12     May 18, 2004
  3. yeah that 's what I thought too. I am looking for a laptop that you can plug the LCD in and you've got 2 screens for trading.

#13     May 18, 2004
  4. I consider myself rather clueless in computing but extended desktop apparently doesn't mean dual monitor support !
    From Dell glossary:

Extended Desktop
    Allows two displays to have independent resolution, color depth and refresh rates (i.e. notebook panel native resolution of 1024 x 768 running a flat panel monitor with a resolution of 1600 x 1200).

#14     May 18, 2004
  5. The NVIDIA Geforce Go cards are are fairly standard laptop card and they all support dual screen capability.

Runningbear

#15     May 18, 2004
  6. jingo911

jingo911

i am using a Dell Inspirion 7500. would i be able to attach another monitor to this laptop?

thanks in advance.

#16     May 18, 2004
  7. why don't you get a desktop for that purpose? a nice dell w/17lcd goes for 600 now days, buy a good videocard that supports 2-3 monitors.

if you really want 2-3 monitors, lookup DELL's website with 2-3 panel LCD screens with 1 analog/digital plug.
    i think they have up to 6

kinda expensive, but it just might be worth it

#17     May 19, 2004
  8. Zuizo

Zuizo

True. However, most reps I've spoken with at Digital Tigers and Margi, tell me that you can expect issues while running the Nvidia card with their products. Making the 3rd monitor option unachievable.

Also, a Texas Instuments card bus is a must for both margi and digital tigers products to work properly also. It's very hard to get accurate info on the card bus from Dell Reps (i had several different stories given to me). It took me quite a bit of research to finally find out that the Insperion 9100 I got has a TI card bus before I made the purchase.

To achieve 3rd independent monitor on notebook you should have following:

XP PRO OS
    ATI video card
    TI card bus

These items are non-conflicting, and should keep system stable when using margi or digital tigers products for the 3rd monitor.

-- Z

#18     May 19, 2004