Multi-monitor set-up for a LAPTOP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Simba, May 14, 2004.

1. Simba

Simba

Hi,

I'm interested in setting up my laptop computer with a multi-monitor system (two additional monitors would be nice, for a total of three).

I checked with Appian (from which I have a quad video card for my desktop), but they do not make a card for laptops anymore; searched the web, e-Bay, and ET, but no success.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. gnome

gnome

Don't know about 3 monitors, but Sony had one with 2 VGA ports and a 16" UXGA screen.... Check Best Buy.

3. Andre

Andre

Can you do 3 on a laptop? I know that most newer ones seem to be able to plug in a second one, out of the box. I can do that with my HP, and it's going on 2 years old.

4. Snowman

Snowman

I was doing some research last week on mulitiple monitor setups and found this site. They have a product called the side car which acts as an external video card for mulitple monitors. Hope this helps.

http://www.digitaltigers.com/sidecar.shtml

5. Banjo

Banjo

6. because, if you are using 3-4-5 screens it probably means you are running several memory extensive applications. Personnaly , when people ask my advice for e setup for DAYtrading, as far as memory is concerned , I would set thge absolute minimum limit to 1gb. (I'm running with only 2Gb, but it's not enough so going to stick in more). Also the CPU has to be a biggy. The fastest you can get your hands on. So, if your laptop is a 2,5 Ghz (at least) and you can extend the memory somehow to 2-4 Gb, go for it (and there are numreous solutions for multimonotor setups). If not, first get a decent nicely beefed up PC, and than start worrying about how many moniors to attach. (I use 5)...

FWIW

TFD

7. From what I have experienced, most Dell laptops come with at least a dual video card, standard.

Don't know if this helps or not.

My Dell Inspiron 3800 did and I'm considering an 8600 now and they both have a dual video card.

8. Zuizo

Zuizo

I have got a traveling trade station completed finally.

I bought a new Dell:

Dell Inspiron9100, Pentium4 3.2GHz w/ HT, 15.4-in. WUXGA
    1GB DDR 400MHz 2 DIMMs
    64MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

This notebook allows for multimonitor independent displays (but you must have the XP pro OS). I have the 15.4 in. LCD from notebook, the a 2nd Samsung 181T plugged into the DVI slot in rear of notebook.

Lastly, I have a Margi Display- to- go card http://margi.com/products/prod_dtg_feat.htm that plugs into the PCMCIA slot from there I run the 3rd independent Samsung 181T. Margi works well with the ATI video card, but I hear there are problems with Nvidia cards.

This gives the 3 monitor capability you said you were looking for.

(I TRIED THE DIGITAL TIGERS SIDECAR PRO, this unit caused repeated system crashes, and I was unable to resolve issues. I returned it for refund.) Very expensive way for multimonitor solution.

A couple of other tid bits for those interested:

I got two 13 X 15 picture frames from Marshall's for 7 bucks each. I threw away the frames, and used the picture stands for my monitor stands. They pack in suitcase completely flat, and keep my flat panels upright perfectly while at my hotel room. (Just screw the picture stands to the flat panel screw holes)

Also, I got a TUMI carry on: http://www.tumi.com/products/index....id=c12993&sub_site_id=2&TMI_PL_2_Link=Details

Its a bit pricey but fits all my gear and slides right under my plane seatso all the gear is always under my control and not being bumped around.

This bag fits 2 18 inch LCDs and a Dell notebook like a glove. The front pouch holds all cables, mouse and display card accessories.

Best,

-- Z

9. How do you know which laptop supports 2 monitor (running simultanuously)and which not ?

#10     May 18, 2004