Multi-Monitor LCD @ 1600x1200

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Slave2MYT$, Aug 28, 2003.

1. before you reply so quickly.

The nVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 does support dual DVI at 1600x1200.

So do the following;

nVIDIA® Quadro® FX 1000
    ATI FireGLTM X1
    3Dlabs® Wildcat4TM 7110

Like I said, nearly any new 8x AGP workstation graphics card will support dual DVI at 1600x1200 ( I just cut and pasted the above samples from the Dell website). However, I did not catch your comment about the PCI. I don't think PCI has the bandwidth to drive dual DVI at that resolution. Anyhow, I don't know any PCI cards that do. Someone else mentioned overkill, and most of the cards above are. But I am going to repeat myself here,

The nVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 does support dual DVI at 1600x1200. And this is a cheapo card.

If you want to drive more than 2 monitors at 1600x1200 DVI then you are SOL. Unless, you want to use a regular VGA connection. I don't believe you specifically mentioned DVI, but I just assumed that is what you meant.

#11     Aug 28, 2003
  2. i currently use the Matrox G200 MMS quad and am familiar with matrox cards...but since there is only 1 AGP port on a motherboard, i'm looking for a solution that would allow me to use multiple pci cards that would drive 1600x1200 dvi's.

Thanks

#12     Aug 28, 2003
  3. newegg lists no pci cards that support dvi, so you may be out of luck.

#13     Aug 28, 2003
  4. Why would he pay all that money for the 1600x1200 res(which is awesome and very readable) and the bottleneck it with less resolution cards?

Michael B.

#14     Aug 28, 2003
  5. You are smoking something over there.

You claim (I copied it below) that you cannot use an AGP card because your Matrox G200MMS card is taking up the only AGP slot on your computer. That's funny, because the G200 MMS is not an AGP card, it is a f**king PCI. Let me repeat, there is no such thing as a G200 MMS AGP card. It doesn't exist. In fact the funny thing is that Matrox G200 MMX's claim to fame was that it was the first PCI card to support multiple DVI at 1280x1024.

How about them apples.

So either you are wasting everyones time with a "made up" problem, or you are unaware that your AGP slot is currently empty.

Either way you are a trip man!

LOL

Quote from Slave;
    "i currently use the Matrox G200 MMS quad and am familiar with matrox cards...but since there is only 1 AGP port on a motherboard, i'm looking for a solution that would allow me to use multiple pci cards that would drive 1600x1200 dvi's."

#15     Aug 28, 2003
  6. Hawker

Hawker

I just realized he has been using the card I suggested. :D and he's looking to change it.

#16     Aug 28, 2003
  7. Excuse me for using this thread slave...but you caused me to look at my Matrox g550 box. I am building a computer and have not installed it yet.

I will be ordering 2 Samsung 191t flat LCD monitors to go with this card...but it says it supports 1 main monitir with dvi....what will this do to my 2 Samsung 1280x1024 monitors?

Will one look different than the other one?

Michael B.

#17     Aug 28, 2003
  8. There is a version of the G550 that supports dual DVI. If you have purchased the card already and it does not support it, I would try to return it. If you have not purchased it yet, there are 2 versions, just make sure you order the more expensive one;

cdw part #329522

You must order the dual DVI cable;

cdw part #275983

To answer your question though. Yes your Samsungs will look different. In fact, I have one computer with 2 samsung 191t's and they both look slightly different on any combination of computers or cards. I didn't purchase them at the same time so I don't know if the color changed on one over time it is a year older that the second one. I have noticed that on most dual monitor displays, even fairly expensive cards, the color is slightly off on the second monitor. I have also noticed that with cheaper graphics cards like the G550 (I don't use this particular card but I have appian and nvidea dual head cards in different machines) you will have shitty results using VGA connections with an LCD monitor.

I repeat I have noticed that DVI capable cards that drive LCD monitors, when used in VGA mode, suck. I have 2 different brands and both are great in dual DVI mode. But if you use them in single or dual vga, or dvi/vga combo as you mentioned, the vga screen has multiple ghosting images. And I'm not talking about just moving graphics. I mean if I look closely at the icons on my desktop I can see 2 or three light ghosts of everything. They are not very noticable, but it makes text very hard on your eyes at any resolution. Maybe the G550 is better, but I would still try to get it in dual DVI. Then it will be crystal clear.

#18     Aug 29, 2003
  9. I bought the wrong card.....

I have matrox part # 79075010820

It's a G55+MDHA32DR with a big pink sticker on it that says B33-030157.

Michael B.

#19     Aug 29, 2003
  10. balda

balda

This is only one I could find:

PNY Quadro4 NVS400 64MB DDR, PCI, DUAL DVI - RETAIL
    A low-profile dual-head PCI graphics board that delivers all the features and benefits of its predecessor; the NVIDIA Quadro4 NVS400, with one major performance benefit, the power of PCI.
    Specifications:
    Chipset: NVIDIA Quadro 4
    Memory: 64MB DDR
    Dual 350MHz Ramdacs
    Maximum resolution of 2048x1535 per VGA screen
    Maximum resolution over digital port: 1280 x 1024 at 60Hz
    Ports: DVI+DVI

But resolution on DVI is not what you asked for.:(

#20     Aug 29, 2003