Multi-chart Ripping Off Tradestation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SuperCruz, Feb 27, 2008.

1. gttrader

gttrader

I would have gone for option 2.
    A script is not a computer program, just an expression of a procedure/process/system.
    But my opinion is not the important one. As TradeStation have chosen not to protect their claimed copyright I can only assume they agree.

#81     Aug 15, 2008
  2. Tums

Tums

Good work !

Next step...

Go find out the date this law was enacted, and the date that material may be protected under this law.

p.s. most young bucks believe copyright is automatic. They do not realize there is a "B.C."

#82     Aug 15, 2008
  3. ybfjax

ybfjax

not sure if it is worth it to add my 2 cents here.

Multicharts has a programming language called PowerLanguage. They advertise that it is compatible with EasyLanguage. But they are two separate programming languages.

Is this any different than openoffice or Apple iWork being able to import and export Microsoft Office-compatible files? Or Apple Preview, being able to import/export Adobe Portable Document Format (pdf) files

Happens all the time with both hardware and software. Nothing wrong with making "aftermarket" products that provide compatibility with existing products. It's up to the user to judge the quality.

I think OpenEcry, esignal and other trading platforms also have easylanguage compatibility. This happens all the time. Making your own hardware or software compatible with someone else's (whether proprietary or not) is not illegal or unethical.

#83     Jun 27, 2009
  4. A good post, ybfjax. :) You are correct in your views. :)

However, compatibility and copyright issues are two different issues. You can make software compatible with others, but to use other software content without acknowledging them is another thing. Even open source software though free, has their own license and you need to acknowledge them.

Anyway, your post had interesting points. :)

#84     Sep 10, 2009
  5. I was looking at buying Multi-Charts, but someone told me it has to connect to their server before you log in. Doesn't that make it a rental instead of a purchase?

#85     Sep 10, 2009
  6. #86     Sep 25, 2009