Multi-chart Ripping Off Tradestation

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by SuperCruz, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Multi-charts seems to be a replacement for TradeStation 2000i with features not found in 2000i. This is fine, but being a replacement by actually copying the actual scripts which comes with TradeStation 8.X including TradeStation's original copyright notices is not. They say all rights reserved.

I Hope, TradeStation did not give them permission to do so, because this would be a crime against their stockholders as it is a copyright infringement. So, TradeStation need to stop this or else they are not honoring their duties to their stock holders.

This can also mean that if you buy Multi-Charts, you might be buying a product which at some point in the future, TradeStation can put then out of business.

Please comment and clarify.

2. How exactly MC operates and is able to do what they do is a great question. I'm sure TS is aware of it, so maybe they don't care? Maybe they are getting a cut?

It would seem odd for a company like TS to just say Oh Well....

3. maxpi

maxpi

Multicharts might be hq'd in Russia. If Putin says they are good to go then they are good to go.......

What would be good is if MC gets their automated order interface together and it's better than TS8's. With TS8 you can't really get account feedback and your strat can get out of synch with the account, MC could so easily implement a better interface but will they? I screwed around with MC for months trying to get Hyperorder to work with it, then waiting for their implementation, finally I realized that Openquant has everything implemented already and I dropped MC like a bad habit.....

4. TSSupport the developers of MC (as well as plenty of other products that fix problems with TS itself, such as external data) have been around for years, if TS could have put them out of business, they would have done it years ago.

TS know exactly what TSS are up to, since TS users often discuss their (TSS's) products in TS's own forums.

I strongly doubt there is any legal position against MC/TSS from Tradestation.

MC is here to stay, and I dont doubt in the months ahead their product will go from strength to strength - MultiCharts already has some extremely strong features that TS sorely lacks, such as range bars, time & tick & multiple different tick interval based graphs in the same chart, sub-second granularity, genetic optimization etc...

aside from the fact it runs & calculates EL code 100 times faster than TS can.

5. Please show some examples.

6. Aok

Aok

SuperCruz,

If your namesakes would put down the Pina Coladas they're sipping off interest they should be paying me and update/improve their product, Multicharts would be a moot point.

However, since that is not the case...

Onward Multichart!

7. Copied from Multi-Charts (have highlighted the copyright)

SX profit-target-cum-trailing-stop. The ATR-based profit target becomes active immediately after the entry-bar (the entry-bar is not protected). If the target is not reached in NumBars, the profit target is replaced by a tight trailing stop (based on the previous high).

The IntrabarOrderGeneration attribute is set to false in this strategy because strategy calculations depend on end-of-bar prices. Specifically, the average true range calculation uses end-of-bar prices.
    }

[IntrabarOrderGeneration = false]
    inputs:
    ATRLength( 5 ),
    NumATRs( 2 ),
    NumBars( 5 ) ;

variables:
    MP( 0 ),
    TargetPrice( 0 ) ;

MP = MarketPosition ;

if MP = -1 then
    begin
    if MP[1] <> -1 then
    TargetPrice = EntryPrice - AvgTrueRange( ATRLength ) * NumATRs ;
    if BarsSinceEntry < NumBars then
    Buy To Cover ( "ATTSX-Tgt" ) next bar at TargetPrice limit
    else
    Buy To Cover ( "ATTSX-Trl" ) next bar at High stop ;
    end ;

{ ** Copyright (c) 2005 TradeStation Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. **
    ** TradeStation reserves the right to modify or overwrite this strategy component with each release. * }
    { Single-return wrapper function calling multiple-output function; see MULTIPLE-OUTPUT FUNCTIONS note below }

inputs:
    Length( numericsimple ) ; { this input assumed to be a constant >= 1 }

variables:
    oDMIPlus( 0 ),
    oDMIMinus( 0 ),
    oDMI( 0 ),
    oADX( 0 ),
    oADXR( 0 ),
    oVolty( 0 ) ;

Value1 = DirMovement( H, L, C, Length, oDMIPlus, oDMIMinus, oDMI, oADX, oADXR, oVolty ) ;

ADX = oADX ;

{

MULTIPLE-OUTPUT FUNCTIONS

A multiple-output function has two types of parameters or "inputs" - input parameters and input/output parameters. The values of the input parameters are passed into the multiple-output function, but not modified by the function. The values of the input/output parameters are passed into the multiple-output function, modified by it, and the modified values are then inherited by - or output to - the calling routine.

The input/output parameters are often used for output purposes only, i.e., the incoming values are ignored. The outputs are in addition to the function return. In multiple-output functions, the function return is generally used to return an error code, though sometimes the return may simply be a dummy value.

The input/output parameters are declared with a "ref" suffix (such as "numericref") in the multiple-output function's declaration statements. For further clarity, the names of the input/output parameters are generally prefixed with an "o" in the function as well as in all the routines that call the function.

The built-in single-return WRAPPER FUNCTIONS that call the multiple-output functions are specialized calling routines designed to offer simplified, alternate pathways to the functionality of the underlying multiple-output functions. In the wrapper functions, the input/output parameters are declared as local variables and generally initialized to zero. They are passed through to the multiple-output function without further modification. After the call, the wrapper function picks out the single output of interest and assigns it as the return of the wrapper function.}

{ ** Copyright (c) 1991-2003 TradeStation Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. **
    ** TradeStation reserves the right to modify or overwrite this analysis technique with each release. ** }

8. More examples in term of screenshots.

The attachment has three pictures, Screen.bmp, Screen1.bmp, and Screen2.bmp.

See at the bottom of the pictures, you shall see the copyright words.

9. Thank you, SuperCruz for the examples.

It might be possible that they do know of this, but not stopping this means that they are allowing the value of the rightful stock holders to be stolen. Also, the stock holders can sue them for not protecting their intellectual property.

Also, if they do not protect it soon, then anyone else could give all that code away also. This means that even I can copy out all my code from TradeStation and post it anywhere I want.

10. Agreed! The TS platform capabilities were once the industry standard but, imo the program has fallen far behind the competition. It seems as though TS is trying to ride on yesterday's glory to attract new customers rather than trying keep pace with other platforms/brokers.

I'll bet they are more willing to dedicate man hours and capital to a long drawn out court case against Multicharts, with the hopes they will prevail and any subsequent award will boost their revenue stream, rather than bringing their program up to speed. But then, I could be wrong - a court case might mean diverting capitol from some Pina Coladas.

#10     Feb 28, 2008