MTM election problem

Discussion in 'Taxes and Accounting' started by R1234, Mar 6, 2015.

1. R1234

R1234

When I filed my tax return on April 11th 2014, my CPA checked the box on the K-1 and claimed the 475(f)-MTM election for my trading entity. So I thought I was all good to go in 2015 for MTM based taxation.

However I did not know I was required to mail the IRS a written statement stating my MTM election. I just found out about that requirement today.

Does this mean I cannot do MTM accounting in 2015?

How do I find out if that is the case?

I'm doing a large volume of transactions this year and that would be hellish to do schedule D.

2. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

If your only concern is how to report a large number of trades properly, check these guys out. I have a few clients that use them.

https://www.gainskeeper.com/us/GainsKeeperIndividua.aspx

Complete Schedule D for tax filing
    Once an investor's trade history is recorded in GainsKeeper, capital gains and losses are tracked and a fully-populated IRS Schedule D and D-1 can be generated for tax filing. As long as you have entered the necessary transaction data in GainsKeeper, you can generate a Schedule D for any year from 1999 forward.

Export tax information to tax preparation software
    From GainsKeeper you can export your Realized Gain & Loss Report to many tax preparation software packages, including CompleteTax®, TurboTax® and TaxACT®.

Create custom gain/loss reports
    With GainsKeeper's custom reporting tools, investors can create many different HTML and PDF reports, such as non-taxable reports and custom date range realized and unrealized gain/loss reports. For active traders who have declared the mark-to-market election with the IRS, GainsKeeper will generate an Income/Loss Report that will supplement IRS Form 4797 for tax filing.

3. Botching the Section 475 MTM election is a problem. I don't follow you about your accountant checking a box on a Schedule K-1 claiming Section 475, that is not what's done. Were you electing for a trading business partnership or as a sole proprietor? The key thing is that the taxpayer making the election clearly stated such to the IRS by the due date of the prior year tax return which is April 15 for individuals and partnerships. New taxpayers elect internally. Consider a consultation with me to review all this.