MTA's CMT or IFTA's CFTe

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by gtizzle101, Jun 2, 2010.

1. 1) Didn't look at the date. But someone posted before I did, so I didn't resurrect this thread
    2) When was the last time you heard someone brag about a CFA, MBA, CMT, PHd? Do they make money, is the only question that should be asked.
    3) I don't know nor do I care. I was just making the point that someone who holds such a position has their CMT which to me, means there is some value in it.

#11     Dec 13, 2010
  2. senaka77

senaka77

My 24 year old brother completed CFTe part 1/11 during the last summer. Within three weeks he got job offers from top tier companies such as JBWere (Goldman Sachs), Macquarie Bank and half dozen of hedge funds in Australia. He joined JBWere with a 1st year pay packet of $120000+bonuses. Considering he had no industry experience and just out of the College with an ordinary Economics degree, CFTe and CMT have it's place among the big boys.

#12     Jan 1, 2011
  3. AcedUp

AcedUp

Hi guys

My first post, so better make it count eh ;)

There are companies out there that require such requisites such as MSTA (Society of Techical analysts).

An MSTA allows one to be exempt from CTFe part 2

So surely, a CTFe is recognised if the big players like 'HSBC' require the applicant to have an MSTA Diploma. The posting was Technical Analyst in HSBCs Market Research and Analysis team in London..

Technical Analysis is a big part of how these traders work, to suggest otherwise is like telling BMW the research they have spent and conducted over the years is horse manure... Which I think would amount to outright arrogance on the individuals part.

TA may not necessarily work for you, but it does work for others. I dnot really like fundamentals, but they are important...depending on how you trade.

Can I post this link, as many fundamentalists in my opinion should watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI

Im not saying im perfect, I have come to realise that I too can be close minded when least expected.

#13     Jul 22, 2011
  4. enjoy your hindsight analysis you clown

#14     Jul 22, 2011
  5. lol i took the exam, proudly skipped the entire TA section saving me hours of useless info. cfa has two sections morning and afternoon. i think there was only 3 or less Qs. grow up

#15     Jul 22, 2011
  6. david keller's job exists becuase idiots like you want his research. Financial services is all about selling securities and services and research.

Ask david keller if he makes an equivalent salary and compensation as an MD at a fund, bank, etc. Yea no shot.

#16     Jul 22, 2011
  7. aknaya1

aknaya1

No David Keller's job exists because he and his department help the portfolio managers at Fidelity make the best decisions about which stocks to invest in.

That's what a technical analyst does.

#17     Jul 23, 2011
  8. I've been working on my CFA for a couple years now, 2 tries to get L1 done and now onto L2....I am currently working as a sales-trader and am now trying to decide what my best route is for education. Would you continue to try to get the CFA designation or move over to the CMT, for which I also have the L1 completed.
    As an equities trader the CFA seems to have alot of information but nothing too applicable to day-to-day work. I'm trying to determine if the CFA is prestigious enough to help me if I'm already in a trading role or if the CMT would be more applicable and help my career more, I also think the CMT is a bit more achievable for me so the extra year or two for the completion of the CFA is another reason I'm rethinking my plan....any advice would be really helpful!

thank you

#18     Jul 27, 2011
  9. CMT is a joke don't bother, CFA and MBA are compliments for each other, both excellent routes to go. The fact about trading is you don't need any designations, you just need to be a good trader. If I were you I would try to get out of trading and maybe try to get into an analyst roll for a PM, or move into investment banking then go into PE.

#19     Jul 27, 2011
  10. steoli

steoli

Everyone thinks that they are joining a team... The Fundamental vs Technical... Nonsense!!!!

I've been working in the investment banking for almost 12 years, and if you're a CMT or CFA doesn't matter most, just get those stocks in the clients portfolio...

Technicals ride the short-term and fundamentals rules the long-term.

The market trend is Earnings and block trading!!!!!!

There isn't a right side for the fundamentals or technicians, there is only the right side of the market...

You should master both, so you can get the best fundamentals in the correct timing... the best of both worlds.

And if you think you'll be a trader by taking the CMT and CFA, just forget it... It takes more than that... But time will answer that for you guys....

Cheers,

Steoli

http://profit.ly/user/steoli

#20     Apr 9, 2012