MTA's CMT or IFTA's CFTe

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by gtizzle101, Jun 2, 2010.

1. How does one fair against the other? any info on which to choose or suggestions which to go with? Are they even worth getting?

Thanks

2. 1) I wasn't aware of the "CFTe" until now.
    2) The CMT is slightly "known" among financial people but also not very respected nor taken seriously. The CFA has a little more respect.
    3) Are you prepared to explain to people what those initials after your last name mean on your business card and the blank stares you're likely to get from others? :confused:

3. lol i hear you nazz, the only 3 letters you'll see after my name is CFA. no shot I will waste my time on TA nonsense. Just reading through the TA section of this site makes me laugh so hard, I'd be to embarrassed to utter things I read here like "wave counts" hah give me a break.

4. exaltedangel09

exaltedangel09 Guest

^This post and the post above me shows that you guys have no clue what your talking about.
    No one said the CMT replaces the CFA.
    Hell most CMT guys HAVE CFAs.

The CMT program is not all about 'wave counts'. Only for the LVII exam do you have to read Pretchner's book, and it's only 1 out of dozens that you have to read. The Chartered Market Technician (CMT) program offers a structured approach to study technical analysis and ensure all key areas are covered. The CMT can help to open doors that may lead to job opportunities. The CMT demonstrates to Wall Street that you are a professional in the field of technical analysis. For those seeking a more traditional Wall Street analyst job, passing the first two CMT exams provides a significant step towards the Registered Research Analyst designation from FINRA.

Most of the material is as follows:
    1.Theory and History
    2. Markets and Market Indicators
    3. Construction
    4. Trend Analysis
    5. Chart and Pattern Analysis
    6. Confirmation
    7. Cycles
    8. Selection
    9. System Testing and Money Management
    10. Ethics

As mentioned before, it's a lot of material.. It's no CFA, but all 3 Levels will probably require 500 hours of studying. the CFA requires 900 (300 per level), so it's still A LOT.

The real technicians do not post on this board. Do you know why? We are not allowed to & the CMT has it's own FORUM..

Your a joke. No one takes YOU seriously.

5. From the 2011 CFA Level 1 curriculum:

Study Session 3
    Reading 12: Technical Analysis
    The candidate should be able to:
    a. explain the principles of technical analysis, its applications, and its underlying assumptions;
    b. discuss the construction and interpretation of different types of technical analysis charts;
    c. demonstrate the uses of trend, support, and resistance lines, and change in polarity;
    d. identify and interpret common chart patterns;
    e. discuss common technical analysis indicators: price-based, momentum oscillators, sentiment, and flow of funds;
    f. explain the use of cycles by technical analysts;
    g. discuss the key tenets of Elliott Wave Theory and the importance of Fibonacci numbers;
    h. describe intermarket analysis as it relates to technical analysis and asset allocation.

Still embarrassed to utter things you read here like "wave counts"?

6. Sounds like the OP really wants to know the answers to the questions he asked because he wants to perhaps go that route, then Nazz comes in with his opinion and then all of a sudden TA is a joke.

Your first post shows you have a real interested in TA, or you wouldn't be reading the TA threads.

But Like Nazz said I have only heard of the CMT which IMO it would be the better one to have (but take that for what its worth). Also a lot of people are turning to TA since fundamental analysis has really failed them in the past.

Ask David Keller (Managing Director of Research for Fidelity Investments) if his CMT is useless or if anyone knows what the letters mean after his name.

7. The CMT demonstrates to Wall Street that you are a professional in the field of technical analysis.

Please revert to vid below.

If your not Raising Cash, closing the deal, your just another bitch in the office. CFAs, MTAs, IFTAs, CFTe....

Yep thats right, while they are sleeping the real guys..the rain makers are on are the phone to Sudan closing Mineral Minning deals, Oils deals, and Shipping line deals to move goods. They new Global Game. Not the old rock'm and shock'm Robots as in Stocks and the US Markets.

The age old fight between Wallstreet Bankers and CFAs, MTAs and all the other number crunchers continue but the real boys making the money....DO NEITHER.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROlDmux7Tk4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROlDmux7Tk4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

8. 1) Oh God! Old thread alert! Old thread alert! :eek:
    2) Just because new credential designations have been created recently doesn't give them "value". When was the last time you heard of somebody bragging about hiring a "CMT"?.......Yah, I thought so. :D
    3) Does David Keller's technical commentary have "impact" because he is "right on the market" or merely because he has an obedient audience of customers at Fidelity who obey his every command? :(

9. When was the last time you heard of somebody bragging about hiring a "CFA"? CFA is becoming the norm.
    I very much doubt that anyone would brag about hiring a CMT, CFA or MBA in a professional office.
    I am doing both.

10. #10     Dec 13, 2010