MSFT and retail stores, haha.....

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by S2007S, Oct 22, 2009.

1. S2007S

S2007S

Here we have another tech giant trying their hand at retail stores, everyone is trying to copy apple and see if they can succeed, as you can see apple opened their 1st store in 2001, sony style tried their hand at it in 2004, next time at the mall look into an apple store and a sony style store, there are more employees at the apple store than there are customers in the sony style store. As for microsoft this is just a lame move to see if they can take one up on apple which is not going to happen. I actually think msft retail stores will be just like the sony style stores are now, of course they will be filled with action the first few moments they are open but they will not continue to thrive like apple has done.

Microsoft's first retail store opens in Scottsdale

Microsoft Corp. opened its first retail store on Thursday to hundreds of people who waited for as long as 12 hours to get freebies and to see if the place is as cool as it was hyped to be.

By AMANDA LEE MYERS

Associated Press Writer
    SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. —

Microsoft Corp. opened its first retail store on Thursday to hundreds of people who waited for as long as 12 hours to get freebies and to see if the place is as cool as it was hyped to be.

Eager customers cheered as a giant white curtain dropped from the front of the Scottsdale store, revealing a big, bright and airy space lined with giant screens displaying popular video games such as Rock Band and Halo.

Employees jumped up and down and high-fived customers as they ran in the store to get gift bags and browse among dozens of computers and software.

Michelle Armstrong, a 20-year-old in pajama pants who slept outside the Scottsdale Fashion Square mall to be among the first in the store, said she was a bit disappointed in the bags, which included a $25 gift certificate, chapstick, mints, a bottle of water and tickets to an Ashley Tisdale concert at the store later in the day.

"I heard they'd be worth between $500 and $1,500, but I really did want to see the store, so it's not a total loss," she said. "I think it looks really cool. When they dropped the curtain, I was really impressed."

Others, like 45-year-old Malinda Harrell, were just there to get tickets to see Tisdale, one of the stars of "High School Musical."

"I'm not into computer stuff," Harrell said, adding that she and her daughter would go to the concert but likely would never return to the Microsoft store.

Kaelin Jacobson, a 20-year-old Web programmer, said he came to the store's opening to give Microsoft "one last shot," adding that he's had a lot of problems with Vista, the last edition of Windows.

Jacobson, who was carrying an Apple laptop, said he has to use Windows for his job and that Microsoft has an uphill battle to match its biggest competitor's sleek and popular stores.

"I expect a retail experience that is involved but not where they're trying to stuff products down your throat," he said. "I want a no-hassle retail experience like Apple."

The Microsoft store's opening coincided with the launch of a new edition of Windows. Microsoft is hoping for a fresh start after a bad reception for Vista.

Company COO Kevin Turner mingled and joked with the crowd at the opening, calling it "a magical day for Microsoft."

He said Microsoft stores will stand out from Apple's stores by developing deeper customer connections.

"We're not looking for an encounter, we're looking for a deep-seeded relationship so we can truly connect with their needs and help illuminate the magic of software and the value of the technology," he said.

Microsoft plans to open a second store in Mission Viejo, Calif., in coming weeks.

2. Translation: "We got nothin'."

3. Americans waiting 12 hours for a store opening is a bullish sign for the DOW/S&P

4. S2007S

S2007S

Yep iphones, windows 7 and big macs make everything bullish.

Wait and kindles.

By the way I do not know 1 person who owns a kindle.....

5. bid4pk

bid4pk

Do they really think that will help? Lol! What a joke.

6. Some people are getting paid from ad agency to stand in line for many store opening.