MS Pop-ups

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by John Q. Public, Nov 11, 2003.

1. syd697

syd697

So I guess turning off windows messenger service isn't the final solution to getting rid of annoying pop-up ads.

What's the next best step? Probably some form of software I'm guessing? Have to go back and re-read through these threads.

Google bar
    pestpatrol
    black ice
    ad-aware

any others?

#11     Nov 16, 2003
  2. #12     Nov 16, 2003
  3. syd697

syd697

Yes,

I opted to install the free version of "pop-up stopper" by panicware. Works pretty good.

So I found out that there were 2 kinds of pop-up ads. One is the "windows messenger-type", which will be avoided if you turn off windows messenger service within your pc (which I did). And the other type of pop-up ad is of the "internet explorer-type". Turning off windows messenger service will NOT stop the internet explorer-type of pop-ups, so you need to get some form of external software like panicware (which I've now done). I hope this helps other people.

Now I need to figure out the best way to get rid of spam e-mail

#13     Nov 17, 2003
  4. Toonces

Toonces

I just installed this. It does pretty well blocking pop-ups, but it freezes your computer for a couple seconds while it's blocking a pop-up (can't use my mouse). Do all blocking services do this? I'd hate to miss a trade because the mouse was temporarily disabled.

#14     Nov 17, 2003
  5. simsim

simsim

To avoide the popups try using Mozilla browser (mozilla.org) (its is the non commercial version of netscape). You have to go to optins/preferences and check off the popups.

I would also suggest to stop the cookies from the third party sites and accept the cookies from the originiting site only. (can be done in bothe mozila and Internet explorer)

The windows messenger (Micrsoft is the incubator of confusion) has nothing to do with the MSN messenger or Windows Update, or Norton or anoy other software. you can stop it by going to control panel and the services and disable the messenger service.

Always use a router on a Cable/Dsl connection. in the DSL connection a login is required and that can be configured in almost all the routers available in the market . Just select the PPOE protocol in the router configuration and the fields for the Login and password will be visible. and u have to do it once.

Always frequently delet the cookies and the temp files from you browser cache folder. This can be done by clicking on tools/options/delet files (IE).

Never use the toolbars like bonzibudy /gator or any thing provided by you cable service provider, Just throw the cd in the junk.

Good luck
    SimSim

#15     Nov 17, 2003
  6. Not necessarily. My SPI/NAT firewall has been breached a dozen times or more in the past few months and the attacks have been stopped by my software firewall. I just hope my software firewall caught all the attacks and none got through.

Anybody got any idea how "they" got through my hardware firewall?

#16     Nov 17, 2003
  7. Check your router's config. Most NAT routers now are configurable so you can purposely open certain ports/protocols and automatically route inbound requests to a specific internal IP address (essentially exposing that machine to the outside world).

If you have any openings in your router's NAT config - either as a default setting or done purposely (e.g., if you're trying to host a site on your machine or otherwise allowing certain types of access from the outside) - then you've given them an opening to hammer at. A fully closed NAT config should just drop any inbound traffic.

Another common way of "penetrating" a NAT router is if you unknowingly downloaded one of the "backdoor" trojan horses it would gave them an inside initiated connection through which to pipeline further intrusion. In that case, although it might seem like it, they're not actually penetrating the router, you've essentially opened a window for them to crawl through.

#17     Nov 17, 2003
  8. #18     Nov 17, 2003