MS 2000 PRO/file size

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by itrader1, Feb 6, 2003.

1. itrader1

itrader1

I am running Windows 2000 PRO and recently upgraded to MetaStock 8.0 PRO. One of the reasons was that the new version allows you to import up to 6000 stocks into a folder vs. 2000 in the older version 7.2

I can still import 2000 stocks, but not 6000. If I use the Downloader to set up the initial stock/data folder there is no problem as long as there is no data that has been downloaded. Once I download data, even only one day's worth, I get the same message "Unable to Read all Records" every time and cannot access any data.

I think it may have to do with the virtual memory or file cache setting in MS2000, but don't know how to change the settings or if that is the problem.

Does anybody have a similar problem or a suggestion how to fix this problem.

2. CalTrader

CalTrader Guest

virtuual memory can be set through the property page of "my computer", advanced tab, performance options: try doubling the settings a couple of times and repeating you task. Once you are up in the GBytes of virtual memory you can probably stop since it may be some other issue - network time outs, physical memory, or just a limitation of the software.

Many third party applications are not very efficient - truly well engineered software is rare. The good thing is that disk and memory is getting really cheap so even average to poor apps can usually be made to work.