Mozy vs Carbonite

Discussion in 'Networking and Security' started by BSAM, Jan 12, 2010.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Anyone using either? Thoughts/observations?

2. bigpapi

bigpapi

mozy is excellent, dont believe the hype, just set it to auto backup right before you go to sleep and youre good, only costs 5 bucks monthly, I researched both before buying and noticed bloggers and "experts" recommending carbonyte, after digging further into the specs, I found that mozy was actualy better, carbonyte is for the sunday joe that doesnt have time to do his own research

3. I've had Mozy since 2007. I second this. Flawless and cheap.

4. BSAM

BSAM

Have you had to restore any files? I've scanned over both websites, and Mozy's procedures for restoration seem rather difficult.

5. pspr

pspr

I have a problem allowing everything on my computer to be backed up on-line. I don't trust the encryption, I don't trust the backup engineers, I just don't trust my valuable data with other people I don't know.

I just use an external USB hard drive (500 GB for around $100) or a USB flash drive (128 GB for about $100) to do my backups. You can use a software called Second Copy http://www.centered.com/ that does the same job as Carbonite for $30.

If you are really paranoid, use two backup hard drives and switch them periodically. Keep the one switched out at a different location in case of fire.

6. C99

C99

I 've used mozy and prefer these guys:

https://www4.ibackup.com/index.html

Little more expensive, but it also serves as an online drive / storage in addition to the backup. It can be mapped as a network drive, and can backup a running sql server.

7. I have used Mozy for over a year without problems. However, I have never had to restore data and I share the previously mentioned concerns about my data being stored somewhere else.

I signed up with carbonite prior to Mozy, but could never get it to work. I tried contacting carbonite multiple times but just kept getting auto-generated e-mails. There was no telephone number to call for support. Eventually, I had to have my credit card company cancel the carbonite charge, which carbonite challenged, etc.

I even tried ordering something else on-line several months later from an unrelated company and they refused my credit card because the new company used the same credit card clearing firm as carbonite.

It was all a big mess and, needless to say, I was very dissatisfied with carbonite.

8. bigpapi

bigpapi

Never had to restore files cant answer that but they have an 800 number on their site.

9. great posts everybody

10. You have to be a complete idiot to store your files on a 3rd party website. I-D-I-O-T.

Buy a 1TB external drive at less than $100.

#10     Mar 19, 2010