Moving to NYC from Australia - Info

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Xtreme, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Like Crocodile Dundee!

#21     Sep 15, 2005
  2. I wasn't joking :)

Great restaurants and shops popping up all over the place down there.

#22     Sep 15, 2005
  3. NYC is great if you're gay. Other than that, it's the worst rat race in North America.

Cheers.

#23     Sep 15, 2005
  4. Nordic

Nordic

Check out Chicago. You have the CBOT, CME, CBOE,CFE. Plus it's cheaper to find a nice place.

#24     Sep 15, 2005
  5. Wilbur?

#25     Sep 15, 2005
  6. 1.) As long as you have the money, anywhere in Manhattan is fine. Be prepared to pay at least $1500 for a non-shared (non-furnished) studio in a decent building and location. If you want a modern building with a doorman/elevator, it'll be closer to $2000. The best bang for your buck is probably Battery Park City and Gramercy. The worst bang for your buck is probably Tribeca and the Village (East or West).

2.) Renting an office will be alot of $$$$$. Trying trading through a prop shop if you have a Series 7. Echotrade, Hold Bros, Genesis, etc.

3.) Don't be shocked to pay $12-$15 for mixed drinks at bars/clubs. $8-$10 beers is not uncommon either.

4.) Bring comfy shoes. You will be walking ALOT in Manhattan.

5.) Don't get sick or hurt while staying here. Health care in the USA is ridiculously expensive. A simple visit to the doctor will hit you for about $500.

#26     Sep 15, 2005
  7. Good for you. I am from NZ, live in Melbourne, but worked in I-banking in New York for four years. Loved it. Great city - and excellent for a single guy with an accent:)

If I were you I would live Upper West Side so close to Central Park. Coming from Australia I think if you live in the Village or Soho you will really miss the greenery. I lived 100m from Central Park - is a very beautiful park and such a great way to take a break from all the concrete. UWS has a lot of young professionals.

Are you making good money trading fx and futs? Will need to for the Big Apple. Do you trade overnight?

#27     Sep 16, 2005
  8. health related issues are quite expensive
    even in manhattan ... but not this expensive !

-A simple visit to the doctor will hit you for about $500.-

:eek:

#28     Sep 16, 2005
  9. tomcole

tomcole

Why doesnt our young Oz friend simply find a building with high speed cable or even fiber to live in and trade from his apartment?

It'll be worth the extra bucks and once he makes his fortune, he can buy something bigger, or nicer, and get a stripper or model girlfriend, like everyone else does.

#29     Sep 16, 2005
  10. Xtreme

Xtreme

I'm trading overnight. Generally put my orders and SMS alarms in and check the market several times a night. I am make reasonable money. I plan to pre-pay my leases and most of my expenses so that the pressure isn't on my trading, but will have to see.

Yeh, this is definitely an option. If I can get a reasonably priced office with a broker, I would prefer as then I can have work and home separate.

#30     Sep 19, 2005