Moving to NYC from Australia - Info

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Xtreme, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Xtreme

Xtreme

Hi everyone,

I have been trading for 5 years now and I have decided to move to NYC next year for 8 months or so to try trading a little closer to the action and in a different time zone.

I'm just wondering if some people can give me some information such as;

- Where is the best place to get an apartment?

- Where is the best place to get an office?

And any other relevant information. I have never been to NY before, the more tips the better.

Thanks,

Liam O....

2. tomcole

tomcole

9 West 57th is a good office location, 74th & Park Ave a good place to live

3. Hey Liam,

What do you trade from Australia?

4. ROFL ... come on now ... be serious ...

I do not think this gentleman or the majority of us on ET can afford some of the highest Real Estate
    prices in the country

-9 West 57th is a good office location, 74th & Park Ave a good place to live-

:p

5. Are you looking to trade w/ a firm or on your own?

Manhattan has some great neighborhoods, it depends on what kind of guy you are. The villiage is very eclectic (both east and west), midtown/murry hill are more homogenious, upper east side is nice and relatively inexpensive. Dont know much about the upper west side but heard its quieter.
    For me, i'd rather live in a more modern luxury building w/ a doorman and nice amenities but some others prefer brownstones or older apartment complexes (they have more character?)

Anyways, good luck. I live in Manhattan, PM me if you have any questions.

Steve

6. Alphabet city is probably overpriced already but would be fun place to live.

7. Xtreme

Xtreme

I trade currencies and major futures. I have already have broker accounts in the US as well as Australia that I trade from.

I'm only looking to rent not buy.

I will be trading on my own, not looking for a firm.

I'm 24 years old and am coming primarily to trade my tail off. I like you would prefer to pay a little extra and have some 'nice' amenities but still have nice places to hang out. Will PM you.

Xtreme...

8. If you think New York is expensive, try living in Australia. Sydney is now the fifth most expensive city in the world.

And for housing it's rated No.1 as a percentage of average salary.

Runningbear

9. rickty

rickty

Runningbear,

As a former Sydney-ite, I'm interested to know where you're getting your statistics from.

Richard

10. bolter

bolter

Xtreme,
    I made the move from Oz to NYC back in the late 80's. The best 4 years of my life. However, unlike yourself I had an employer to smooth the transition.

I have to ask .... what benefit do you see for your trading? Time zone and response times are the obvious answers. But what else?

The risk is that you will waste the first few months getting settled before you can even start trading. Second, the temptation to party all night every night for a young bloke like yourself will be excruciating.

How do you propose to get a visa? You'll need a sponsor. You can't so squat in the "land of the fee" without a Social Security number.

Lot's of things to consider, but if you can make it happen you will have the time of your life.

Good luck to you.

#10     Sep 14, 2005