Moving to Monterey Bay Area: Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by montereytrader, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Sell 'em, thank you for the helpful info. Good luck nailing ES, i am rooting for you, man!

btw, is Santa Cruz any warmer?

#11     Sep 9, 2009

2. wow...I'm shocked.....rather low for the penninsula.

It's a great place, only issue is the weather in the winter.....downright cold, damp, and nasty.

Santa Cruz is great.....totally different scene.

Best of luck to you out there. You're certain to love it.

#12     Sep 9, 2009
  3. randy33

randy33

Santa Cruz is rather run-down, beach bum kind of town.

#13     Sep 9, 2009
  4. yes, i heard there are ton of homeless hang out downtown (probably mostly former traders :) )

#14     Sep 9, 2009
  5. Welcome to Santa Cruz Agency,
    the first housing resource for 215
    patients. We cover 215 Friendly
    Rentals, including hard-to-find
    Rentals in the Santa Cruz area!

We are local people who know how tough it is to
    find a rental in Santa Cruz, especially if you are
    a Medical Marijuana patient... or plan to be one.

Our Rental List has hundreds of
    flexible Rentals including Apartments,
    Studios, Cottages, Cabins, and Houses
    for the entire Santa Cruz area!

LOL!!!

http://santacruz.pasadiva.com/

#15     Sep 9, 2009
  6. tef8

tef8

I trade from Watsonville and have worked on IT Projects in Monterey.

Internet connectivity in the Monterey Bay area has issues on a regular basis. A trader would be better off over the hill in San Jose for both steady power and steady internet connections. That observation is from my direct experience with it. I basically have to trade with a cell modem as a backup to use to exit for when (not if but when) connectivity is lost.

Position trading wouldn't be an issue. Futures trading and scalping it can be a major issue so either locate over the hill or plan plan plan your backups for connectivity.

There was one day when the fiber was cut that also apparently affected the cell towers (fiber was cut in San Jose so peeps on this side of it were out of the cloud).

my two cents

it is a incredibly beautiful and peaceful place though...

#16     Sep 9, 2009
  7. good to know there are problems. i am getting sprint mobile broadband as a backup.

how is watsonville as far as crime level? what area of watsonville is better/safer to live in?

#17     Sep 10, 2009
  8. randy33

randy33

Agree, San jose, the heart of silicon valley is major tier 1 hub for internet traffic and you should get quicker and more reliable service.

te8, do you see noticeable difference getting orders through from Watonville compare to a metro in the east coast ? I lived outside of Boston and my orders were filled very quickly even tho I don't have direct access broker. My broker is fidelity in Boston. I must say I have nothing to compare to. I have to do some trading when I visit California for comparison. But how has your experience been ?

#18     Sep 10, 2009
  9. $2000/mo is gonna get you some piece of crap rental. if you're ok with that, then go for it.

the people who say monterey is frigid in winter probably grew up in palm springs. it gets into the 40s at night and high 50s during the day in the winter and it never snows. compared to 85% of the usa, this is considered balmy.

it's a nice place to visit but you'll find it boring if you're accustomed to a large metro area.

#19     Sep 10, 2009
  10. Being a UCSC grad, yes there are way too many freakin' bums downtown. Right when I moved in 94 they finally passed a law against aggressive pan handling. Check out Capitola or Aptos, cleaner. The standing joke is the Cops in Capitola bus the homeless to Santa Cruz, and it's tolerated.

Monterrey to Santa Cruz, Conservative to extreme tree hugger.

I miss Nothern Ca, but damn water is too cold and too many Great Whites. When you have to wear a wetsuit in August, no thanks.

#20     Sep 10, 2009