Moving to Chicago

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PohPoh, Oct 15, 2006.

1. I've lived in Chicago, London, NYC [Tribeca], LA, Seattle... Chi all the way.

#11     Oct 16, 2006
  2. LP is where it's at. Lakeview and Wicker Park are nice as well. 3-story townhomes on Eugenie at LaSalle are $800k and you're across the street from the park.

#12     Oct 16, 2006
  3. "clean, schools, relatively green"
    You just eliminated the enitre city, especially for schools. Many nice suburban areas though that will meet all your requirements.

#13     Oct 16, 2006

4. The woman are really overweight and lame..,people drink way too much...the weather is pretty brutal most of year, hot in summer . very cold winters, spring is non existent...

#14     Oct 17, 2006
  5. Nordic

Nordic

Maybe you should quit drinking and fu#$ing fat dumb drunk chicks.

Also Summer = Hot & Winter = Cold

:D

#15     Oct 17, 2006
  6. On balance, with a family and school aged kids you'd be better further north in a SFH in west Lakeview or even Ravenswood, Lincoln Square or Andersonville. Riskarb and me have discussed this fact: LP is depressing if you're a married or committed guy. WAY too many hot babes. LP trades at a premium and it sounds like you can't use the , er....amenities, if you get my drift. 750k is a decent budget in Chicago. No it's not going to get you the brownstone on Astor or a 3000 sq ft pied a' terre on LSD but it will get you SOLID second tier stuff.

#16     Oct 17, 2006

7. Riskarb, Those townhomes surrounding Eugenie Terrace have always been a tremendous value. You lived on the next block, eh?

I also like the newer stuff on Lincoln between Armitage and Dickens.

#17     Oct 17, 2006
  8. Care to elaborate why Chi is the best? :D

#18     Oct 17, 2006
  9. Is it true no one can afford to drive to work downtown in Chi from the burbs unless you are pretty high up in the food chain?

#19     Oct 17, 2006
  10. What? I drive 1 hour in CA and gas cost a lot more here in CA than in Chi town
    There are commuting options in Chicago from the Burbs like trains that are reasonable compared to NYC. I used have a house in Downers Grove and took the train to downtown - I remember it used to cost me $80/month pass - very reasonable compared to any major city in the USA. The problem in Chicago is the politics and the blight of the city, way too many old rotten poor areas and the city pretty much sucks like most US cities, schools are crap, expensive and only caters to yuppies who like to fornicate and get drunk but when they get older the city is a major black hole - no racial slur intended. It sucks for the long haul. The only nice city in the USA is Seattle of that size (well much smaller but a major metro area nevertheless.

#20     Oct 17, 2006