Moving Stoploss to Break Even

Discussion in 'Risk Management' started by tommo, Apr 12, 2011.

1. NoDoji

NoDoji

I haven't viewed this yet but I love TED and will check it out later!

#41     Apr 22, 2011
  2. thanks for the link

#42     Apr 23, 2011
  3. So where does your stop end up after 1R? Does PA take you near B/E or is it all or nothing? If you adjust it based on price action, I think you should mention that.

Otherwise it sounds like your stop is left where it began throughout the whole trade. I'm assuming it isn't?

You guys can post your live trades and i'll post mine. We can put this to rest for good but i can assure you we have much different strategies.

#43     Apr 23, 2011
  4. NoDoji

NoDoji

At 1R, PA normally takes me to b/e. I've had some trades move beyond 1R, run all the way back to stop me out b/e by just a few ticks and start back my way again, but I've gotten very good at jumping right back in when that happens.

#44     Apr 25, 2011
  5. Quite the important mention.

Having the mental fortitude to take this second attempt takes a while to master even as it's much easier to get the cheese as a second attempt.

Crazy A

#45     Apr 26, 2011

6. Rolando, in response to your first paragraph, I agree completely. The initial stop loss is the place you deem the trade to be invalid, so it's not reasonable to move it arbitrarily just because the price moved some. Well put, and very logical.

In response to your last paragraph about handling risk when you scale in, I use a system called Pyramiding, which is similar, I think. I just treat each addition to my position as a new entry with a new stop. This means each addition has to have its own logical entry point not based on the original entry. As a hypothetical, let's say the original entry gets a 2% risk (based on account size), and the position goes 10% in my favor (trading options). I don't add to until the next logical entry point at which point my original is up 10% and my next position (or addition) has its own risk. If I'm wrong, both the original and the pyramid attempt are closed at the 2nd stop limit (based on the pyramid attempt). The original would win 8% and the pyramid would lose 2% for a total 6% account growth. If I'm right, they both win together. I follow the same procedure for every additional pyramid until my full account plus margin is in use. I've only been "all in" a few times and February 2009 is one of them. Take a look. In the attached picture, number 1 is my original stop limit after the entry (put options), numbers 2, 5, and 7 are stop limits for additional pyramid opportunities, and 8 is where I got stopped out of everything.

And for the original post, about how to move to break even, numbers 1-3 explain my technique for getting to a break even without risking being stopped out. The logic that determined my risk limit is the same logic that gets me to break even.

#46     Jul 10, 2011
  7. Under the testing I've done, moving stop to BreakEven minimizes some losses but also prevents you from obtaining some winners.

The end result was that it hinders the expectancy curve.

#47     Jul 10, 2011
  8. Eight

Eight

I have a script that runs while I'm trading. It has what I call Intelligent Exiting, it's some TA that detects when the trade is faltering. Actually it detects when price is setting up for another entry and it exits the current trade and waits for the next entry... it just quits while it's ahead. This turns lots of trades that would have hit the stop into small winners and avoids the lost opportunity that occurs while waiting for a trade to hit the stop... it's almost like the old idea of how long to hold a stock: "Hold it until you wouldn't buy it anymore"

#48     Jul 11, 2011
  9. traderrn

traderrn

A wise man once told me to extend my targets instead of trying to save on stops.

#49     Jul 14, 2011
  10. Yes, for my trading its very important to move stop to break even. I feel better with it. And trading should feel good.

Because if the market reach a certain level i dont want to be able to get a loss anymore.
    If i be stopped out, i dont care. Thats just one of the next 10 Trades where i will be not stopped out. And i go on to the next trade.
    There are Setups to trade every day every week everywhere.

The question is just at which price level do you move the stop to Entry (a little bit over entry for the cost of commissions) and have the best probability to make the profit you want.

Number 1 rule is to minimize Loss.
    1. Take out the risk.
    2. Let it go.

If you cant loose anything anymore its a better trade, then there isnt any stress factor anymore.

Of course i can only talk about myself. It depends on your strategy.
    I am a 100% technical trader and i am just want a straight direct move after i got in to the market, depending on the time frame i trade. If i dont get the "perfect" move i cut down my position and minimize the risk.

So how cares if i missed a profit when i cant loose anything.
    The next time its a winner.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Little statistic

break even strategy

10 Trades
    2 Trades stopped out at break even = no loss
    1 Trade = looser
    7 Trades = good Winners

VS

no break even strategy

10 Trades
    3 Trades = loosers