Moving Satellite Internet connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cashonly, Sep 4, 2002.

1. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with a moving satellite internet connection.

For example:
    On top of an RV while it's going down the road
    A boat under sail

If so, has it worked for you?

2. My understanding from DirecWay is that it cannot be used on a moving object. This has to do with the directional azimuth.

3. gordo

gordo

Cash:

There is a thread that we had going about a week ago. Think that a couple of posters suggested a system by a company KVH. Sounded like a good option, but maybe rather costly. Be great if we could find a good affordable source. Name of the thread was something like "Mobile satellite/trading hookup" or something quite similar to this one. Hope that helps.

P.s. would like to discuss remote trading with you at your convenience. Thanks gordo.

4. Rigel

Rigel

Guy on TV had a dish on his bus/motorhome that automatically oriented itself while the bus was on the road so he could watch tv while he was travelling (he had a driver), so they are available. Probably spensive though.

5. as far as I'm aware, TV yes; two-way internet, no. (not while moving)

6. Currently correct; however give it a few months ...

7. graeco

graeco Guest

So it is probably possible to trade from an RV while it is parked?You just need to know where to point the disc?How would you do it.With a compass and a sextant?

8. Probably uses GPS somehow. I think Popular Mechanics had an article about this within the past year. Interesting read. I briefly looked, but couldn't find that article. A search for "satellite internet rv" on Google turns up a lot of info.

9. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

Do you know of something coming?

#10     Sep 6, 2002