Moving offshore

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kashirin, Mar 19, 2007.

1. I think a decent place would be singapore
    Clean nice small place
    Or either thailand

#51     Apr 7, 2007
  2. Thailand would be nice, unless you are a daytrader. Thai internet is spotty from all that I have read.

It's funny, but since looking at the price of property for Panama I am starting to look at Panama City, Florida. You can get beachfront their for 275k-300k same as Panama and no Spanish to learn. I also believe the property tax exemption in Panama is no longer in effect, although I could be wrong. Plus FL is East Coast and Panama is Central Time, I would prefer ET for trading. I was browsing beachfront in condos and Miami, whew 1 mil starting, forget that. :eek:

#52     Apr 7, 2007
  3. maxpi

maxpi

I would add to that list free range meat/egg/dairy production, organic if possible, and water quality.

#53     Apr 7, 2007
  4. maxpi

maxpi

I would add to that list free range meat/egg/dairy production, organic if possible, potable water, and beaches/sailing.

#54     Apr 7, 2007
  5. RL8093

RL8093

For Iranians maybe .... Would the same rate apply for Americans choosing to take up residency in Iraq? No doubt they'd welcome those from the land of Bush with welcome arms ....

#55     Apr 7, 2007
  6. bawr

bawr

Are we talking about Iran (Persia) or Iraq (Mesopotamia)? These are two very different countries. Here is a blog by Esther, a Jewish-American woman who lives in Tehran, Iran. You may wish to ask her about conditions for Americans there:

http://www.viewfromiran.blogspot.com/

#56     Apr 7, 2007
  7. I grew up in Orange County, went to Baja, speak some Spanish, including Rosarita Beach plenty. The water is freakin' cold there! Colder than So Cal. The tide is different.This was along time ago, but I remember it being no better than 70 in July max. No way is that Mediterranean. I have been to Greece, the water is about 78-80 in the summer. In Newport Beach it's maybe 72 in August if you are lucky.

In the Caribbean it's 83 plus and crystal clear, but yes there are Hurricane issues. I would only buy high rise condo with impact resistant windows. On top of that I don't know that Rosarita Beach would have good high speed internet, which I know most of Panama and Florida would have.

I live and trade from Denver now. I would not want to get up at 5:45 so I am awake and ready to go for market open. My trading buddy used to live in Vegas and traded Bonds and Euro he was hurting! He woke up at 4:45 for a 5:20 open.

Other bad thing about Mexico is they follow Napoleonic law, guilty until proven innocent. Panama is common law I am almost positive. When ppl. get into a car accident in Mexico they flee because they are scared of what the corrupt police will do. My Mom's student had a good friend killed in TJ in a traffic accident, they wouldn't release his body without a 5k bribe!

You know where would be nice San Felipe. The Sea of Cortez is nice and warm, but I don't think their internet would be up to snuff for day trading.

Anyway thanks for the suggestion. What part of high desert are you in?

Post edit- In Mexico no taxes on capital gains, that is a good thing to be considered. Everything has it's pros and cons.

#57     Apr 8, 2007
  8. IMHO, do not let the bribing of officials turn you off any of these tax havens. This is the tax, and at least it only comes when you are in need of something, unlike all the taxes we pay in a 'civilized' world.

Best regards,
    MK

#58     Apr 8, 2007
  9. Where in Thailand do you live and do you trade from there ?

#59     Apr 8, 2007
  10. bawr

bawr

Did you ever consider living in Switzerland, where there is no capital gains tax? You would be close to home and lots of people speak some kind of German ...

#60     Apr 8, 2007