Moving offshore

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by kashirin, Mar 19, 2007.

1. I would consider Acapulco. I have been there and it's really nice. The water was 80F in November. It seemed safe too, tourist police everywhere and helpful too. Speaking both Spanish and English.

I just stopped in Costa Maya, cruise ship port, and beautiful clear water nice ppl, no high speed internet!:(

Belize no high speed either. :(

#31     Mar 19, 2007
  2. Bob111

Bob111

#32     Mar 19, 2007
  3. katesdp

katesdp

But you get a deal on Kalik Beer.

#33     Mar 19, 2007
  4. #34     Mar 19, 2007
  5. I understand taxes are high for almost all EU citizens, I was simply offering a banking alternative that is private and stable.

#35     Mar 19, 2007
  6. Hey here's a hypothetical question about IRAs. What happens if I move off-shore and give up my US citizenship and take my tax-deferred IRA with me? Do I still owe Uncle Sam anything when I start to withdraw from it? In fact, can't I just pull the money out and do what I want with it immediately?

Sounds too good to be true.

#36     Mar 19, 2007
  7. Kalik Beer is almost as good as Banks Beer in Barbados. Was there for 2 months, some of the nicest beaches and thats about it....

I need a place with rich culture and decent food.

I thought about basing out of Thailand, but I'm a intraday-trader and need net reliability. i hear the people and the food are world class!

#37     Mar 19, 2007
  8. I thought I read that US citizens still have to pay taxes for 10 years AFTER renouncing citizenship. If that's true, I guess we all may as well just suck it up :D

#38     Mar 19, 2007
  9. Ha, you think Uncle Sam would make it that easy? :)

"An individual who relinquishes his or her U.S. citizenship or terminates his or her U.S. residency with a principal purpose of avoiding U.S. taxes is subject to an alternative method of income taxation for the 10 taxable years ending after the expatriation or residency termination under section 877."

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpque...&r_n=sr283.107&db_id=107&item=&sel=TOC_25410&

I'm not sure if that's exactly what got voted in, but it was something along those lines..

This is again why I'd suggest the US Virgin Islands for US citizens. Renouncing citizenship is just too much of a hassle, and you can't escape the IRS.

#39     Mar 19, 2007
  10. Sounds tremendously difficult to enforce if you never come back to US soil. And I really doubt foreign govts would bother lifting a finger to enforce US tax law.

#40     Mar 19, 2007