Moving into an apartment as a trader...

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by JMowery1987, May 23, 2006.

1. jerryz

jerryz

i think only the executive type apartments will actually do a credit check. if you're thinking of moving to any regular apartment then i think you'll be fine.

#11     May 23, 2006
  2. I just did a search on apartments.com for apartments on southeastern part of VA.

I can afford some of them, they are very cheap and some are very nice. Only looking for 1 bedroom, as I only need some privacy and a room to sleep, and space where I can set-up my desk for trading, nothing big. I still want to save up my returns from trading for other investments for solid returns on my money.

Just trying to plan this all out for a long term commitment.

I just don't know what I'm going to tell them when they ask me "Do you have a job?"... "How much do you make a year". Because, I have a pretty good idea what I MIGHT be on track for returns this year with my scalping. But, like a regular self-employed person, nothing is guaranteed, I just don't understand why someone would reject me, especially if I'm willing to pay the whole lease for the year, or 6 months, or however it is done.

I just wanted to ask other people before just sounding like an idiot contacting landlords and such.

I could go out to Washington and move in with a friend that is in the airforce, but... I think I might be very distracted. I also have a friend that lives in Belgium, but I don't think I'd be legally allowed to live in Belgium, considering I'm not going to be employed if I moved to Belgium, and that is a whole other thread completely.

Just trying to figure out about credit and how to raise it and not make the same mistakes my sister and her husband did.

EDIT:

Are there any books anyone can suggest for someone that is in my situation, or reliable resources?

Also, is it better to do a month to month, 3 month, 6 month, or 12 month lease, what are the advantages and disadvantages of all of them, if you don't mind explaining.

Appreciate all the help, thanks.

#12     May 23, 2006
  3. Jmow,

Here is some advice- My father did lots of real estate while I was growing up. He used to sub divide homes to rent out the rooms. Most people that rented them are in your sort of situation.

Look for a quiet neighborhood and a nice house. Lots of people rent out rooms that have their own entrances, bathrooms etc.

Usually it'd be cheaper then a apartment and no credit check. Also you'll live in a nicer area. Low end apartments are dangerous and nasty.

Then get a credit card and use/pay it off monthly. In one year you'll have saved extra money this way and have some credit. Then if your making enough get yourself a nicer apartment.

#13     May 23, 2006
  4. mhashe

mhashe

For your housing problems try Craiglist and to learn how to solve your credit issues try Google.

#14     May 23, 2006
  5. I have rented housing in 3 different countries with no credit rating in that country and no "job".

In my case I have always just showed the landlord some bank statements and paid the rent/deposits in cash up front. With one exception they were all very happy. The exception was a junior agent who lacked world experience --- if you have a problem with the local agent then just ask them if you can discuss the finances with their manager.

Or just provide a substantial amount of cash - it works for the Russian Mafia :)

#15     May 23, 2006
  6. marky1

marky1

If you pay the rent up front I would imagine you would have no trouble at all - most landlords would be happy to rent on those terms I would have thought - certainly in Europe. Sorry to hear about your dad as well - you're right, things can be tough when you don't know who to ask - can't understand some of the harsh replies to your question on here, clearly a lot of people with lots of time on their hands. Good luck.

#16     May 23, 2006
  7. Offer to pay double for the security deposit.

This usually does the job.

#17     May 23, 2006
  8. Depending on the landlord, management company or real estate agent they might just take $75 or and run a fake credit check. Basically they pocket the money and let you rent with first, last and security deposit.

To establish credit try a secured credit card. Make sure they report to all three credit agencies.
    If they only report to one credit agency you will be out of luck when you apply for a loan or another credit card.

#18     May 23, 2006
  9. jerryz

jerryz

if you are looking for ways to get around the questions without lieing, just just say you work in finance. if they ask how much you made last year, just tell them what you made last year unless it's a ridiculously low number.

the reason why landlords have a problem with you even though you are willing to pay 6 months in advance is that it is hard to kick you out if you don't pay after the 6 months. they have to get you evicted legally. it means doing a bunch of legal crap that will cost them time and money. meanwhile, they are not collecting rent on their property.

if you can pay 6 months in advance, i'm sure you won't have a problem finding a sublet or something.

#19     May 23, 2006
  10. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I have a good friend with a law degree who has been running a rental company for almost 20 years now. He runs credit checks on all applicants. He's looking for those who have poor credit. Some applicants have no credit which isn't the end of the world. If he isn't sure about the "quality" of a prospective tenant he'll ask for 2 months security depost and the lease will clearly state when rent is due (and when a tenant would be considered late). And after the "late" cutoff date if payment isn't received he'll file for eviction. Since that eviction process can be slow, and tenants can continue to stay in the apartment (or condo, house) the 2 month security deposit helps to protect the owner of the property against the deadbeat tenants. Once the hearing date arrives most tenants don't show up for court.

Bottom line is I think you could get a place with 2 months security deposit. If you offered 12 months payment up front they'd probably love it as they can "park" the $$$ in the bank and draw interest on it.

#20     May 23, 2006