Moving info from old to new machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joab, May 27, 2008.

1. Joab

Joab

I wan to duplicate the programs and data from my old machine to my new machine.

I see there is a wire that you can connect to the machines together then what ?

Thanks

2. theres a program called Paragon something or other that does it... Have a search - make sure you get the right package

3. gnome

gnome

There are "migration" software programs and I believe Windows has one built in. However, it's probably better to install everything fresh on your new system. That way you won't be copying any old schumtz from the original machine.

4. opt789

opt789

There are a few ways to do it, through a network hub/router, directly with a network crossover cable or serial cable, or a usb connect module. It depends on how the computers are configured. I would agree that you do not want to try to move your programs over, you should do a fresh install on the new machine.

5. Tums

Tums

6. Hm... it's unfortunately not that easy.

Programs have to be registered, registries altered and so on.

2 easier ways:
    -Acronis True Image: make a backup image of your hard drive and attempt to port it into your new PC.
    -Are you moving to a PC with the same OS? If you are and the hard drive is the same interface (SATA vs ATA, 3.5"...) you might just be able to plug it into the new machine and update your drivers.