Moving Forward: Your Opinion of ET

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Baron, Aug 21, 2013.

How Should ET Move Foward from here?

1. ET needs to implement lots of new features, like Facebook, LinkedIn and other social sites.

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  2. ET should incrementally add new features based solely on user feedback.

48 vote(s)
    37.8%
  3. ET should get rid of features like Books/Brokers/Software Ratings and stick to forums only.

11 vote(s)
    8.7%
  4. ET has been great for the last 15 years just like it is and should be left alone.

58 vote(s)
    45.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Folks with under 1000 posts really should have no rights to suggest anything for this site. ET depends on content to survive--- only the producers should have the ability to influence the future direction of elite. Those who don't contribute should not be permitted to vote

With this said---elite must change by using all major social media, real names, and perhaps paid content like pro trader interviews, articles, and seminars. This will provide topics to talk about. As well as provide focus for the site rather than the nonsense repetitive nonsense that has nothing to do with what's working now in the markets.

surf

#11     Aug 21, 2013
  2. Lucrum

Lucrum

I think 10 no...15,000 would be a more appropriate minimum.

#12     Aug 21, 2013
  3. It has to be something. Otherwise we have a bunch of users who could really care less casting votes. If you don't participate on the site, you really don't have any grounds to comment on its future. I want to learn whats working now in the markets-- not the same old crap from the 1990's like TA and other nonsense. cut the FX threads also--- there is zero value there as they stand. Open up a thread called currency trading-- the FX bucketshoppers who cause trouble will likely not know what that means thus stay away. surf

#13     Aug 21, 2013
  4. I would like to see the number of threads listed on the top page increased. Maybe tabbed lists to where all threads posted for the last day could be seen.

#14     Aug 21, 2013
  5. lwlee

lwlee

Why did I come to ET in first place? It was so long ago but probably because I needed an answer and searched for it on the web. The web showed ET had some type of discussion that fit my needs. This was before Google since I've been on ET since the late 90s. Nowadays, Google does an even better job highlighting ET's content.

I appreciate informative websites that highlight the "good" content that they have. For instance, some sites have a blog that will showcase significant discussions. Even sites like fatwallet take posters' hot deals and highlight it in their main deals section. If I did a search and found ET, then saw that there was a nice section detailing a myriad, "best of" discussions on the topic, I would be more prone to read more. That Hall of Fame thread is a good start. Highlighting it in a more viewer-friendly matter would definitely draw more people. Brokers/Software/Books are ok but they don't seem to update very often (except for Brokers). Books should definitely have a more active amazon-like feedback.

#15     Aug 21, 2013
  6. igotcash

igotcash Guest

I would get rid of software and book reviews on home page. then categorize the home page differently.

futures traders

day (post trades, ideas)
    swing
    educational
    fundamental
    technical analysis

stock traders

day (sub-category based on ticker systems)
    swing
    long-term

a section on breaking news

section on bonds
    section on currencies
    section on spreads
    section on trading systems/algos

simple is better. the key is to emphasize trading, charts, ideas, entries and exits, P/L, and bury the other stuff.

#16     Aug 21, 2013
  7. The site has become stagnant. But it can be revived by interactive content and value added content. The markets, trading and finance have changed-- the site stays the same. It has to change to survive. surf

#17     Aug 21, 2013
  8. vicirek

vicirek

Please keep simple and clean interface that is fast loading and quick to scan and read.

Extra features should be carefully chosen to serve the primary function of this forum as exchange of information.

#18     Aug 21, 2013
  9. lwlee

lwlee

A number of other features that I've seen other active forums showcasing,

- threads can be very long. lots of reader ask for cliff notes, saying "tl;dr". I always appreciate it when someone does a summary. That summary should be posted right next to the OP's original post. Any new updates should be added there. It's more user-friendly than having the reader search long threads.

- user ranking and feedback rewards. Fatwallet has achievements to give users a sense that they are contributing. I'm not saying to go to that extent but ET has nothing to incentivize readers to add great content. Also other forums give seniority/performance ranking to members that contribute. Nothing like that on ET.

- thread post rankings. ET has a very basic 5 star ranking. Other forums allow members to vote on individual posts. red/green. Give idiot posts the "burn in hell" RED treatment. :D

#19     Aug 21, 2013
  10. lwlee

lwlee

If you mean to get rid of it completely, I don't agree with that. The lack of updates is the problem. Having more updates with the latest materials and related links to significant threads would make those areas more relevant.

There was a thread that showcased Marty Schwartz 2013 Amherst speech. Something like that could be highlighted next to his book in the books review. People who enjoy his book would probably be interested in "additional related content" like that. ET would have the leg up on Amazon in that area.

#20     Aug 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.