Moving Average

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by jgadefelth, May 27, 2005.

1. Yes. I would have called it this, but figured it would throw the original poster off. Same thing.

Anybody who calls this stupid does not have a postive equity curve. It is trading in its purest sense.

#31     May 29, 2005
  2. j1900q

j1900q

#32     May 29, 2005
  3. j1900q

j1900q

4. Close, but not quite true.

VWAP is a cumulative intraday average. As each bar is added in your time frame, a new value of VWAP is calculated. i.e. its lookback period increases as the day's trading proceeds, and is reset the following day. Its final value is the VWAP for the day.

Conversely VWMA in its standard form is a fixed lookback weighted moving average, whereby the weighting factors are representative of the per-bar fraction of volume transacted over the lookback period.

Hence there is no length (lookback period) associated with VWAP (i.e. you don't pass any length parameter to the function like VWAP(50), it uses all available bars so far for the day), but a VWMA has a lookback period like a Simple MA or exp MA, etc..., i.e. VWMA(50).

Of course, you can always code a dynamic lookback VWMA, i.e. adaptive VWMA.

HTH

#34     May 30, 2005
  5. Nice try, Equalizer. As they say in NLP, "The map is not the territory." Sweetlettuce, you be quiet, y'all heah?

#35     May 30, 2005
  6. I am confuse what i shall do i had a lot of answear but some say its good and other says it is not good is there anything that is simple and works fine i have intensions of trading S&P 500 minis.

Regards

#36     May 30, 2005
  7. Yes' um

#37     May 30, 2005
  8. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jgad;
    Not to dificult to figure out how effective a ma is;
    but you have to do your own research. which takes months or years.

And hope you dont take this as a personal jab;
    you surely are NOT ready to trade with not even being able to discern if a ma or vwma is helpful!!!!!!

Also your education will be much MORE exspensive with leverage like S&P 500 e mini.

Hope this helps.:cool:

#38     May 30, 2005
  9. #39     May 30, 2005
  10. murray t turtle

I have done my research and find out that i it is lagging on trends and it dont seems to work at all in nontrending markets. Thats why i need something more besides the EMA or perhaps a hole new strategy.

Regards

#40     May 31, 2005