Moving Average or Linear Regression?

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by programtrader, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Hahahaha! I remember reading some bullshit years ago that if it lags ENOUGH, it leads!

#11     Aug 3, 2005
  2. Mike, err... I mean Albert, pardon me for it has been a long time since I delved into all things DSP, but isn't a first order IIR filter a standard Expo-MA in trader's parlance?

#12     Aug 3, 2005
  3. Choad

Choad

Lag or Leg?

If you can't get Leg, do you use the "Right Hand Rule?" :p

I know I do! :D

#13     Aug 3, 2005
  4. kut2k2

kut2k2

First, you have to realize that you're mixing apples and oranges.

LR is a model. You assume the data has a linear form and you "force" the best fit by finding the model parameters that give the least overall estimation error. There is no lag here; once you've found the best model parameters, you can forecast out to eternity if you wish.

MA is a smoother. You assume nothing about the form of the data, you are simply trying to reduce noise without losing too much signal. The best MA will necessarily use a different method of adjustment than the best LR, because there is no a priori form to be fitted.

Good luck with your research.

#14     Aug 5, 2005
  5. landboy

landboy

I'm glad you stress the word assume, since any type of statistical modelling has a bunch of rules put in place before going forward. The one assumption I love is the one that "all consumers are rational." NOw we all know that's a farce, but let's make the same assumption about investors "all investors are rational." If you make that assumption, modelling it would be a piece of cake, if not, you get what you have now: stochastics, bollinger bands and the like that use stastical means and parameters that work with the assumption that stock data can be "fitted" well

#15     Aug 5, 2005
  6. I was about to ask, can anyone give me leading indicator for prices? I'm willing to pay, if it works. :)

#16     Aug 5, 2005
  7. LOL.
    Al, did you ever study the effects of a woman's weight/girth with respect to the her "rate of change of mind" :)
    or is this pretty much a universal constant (enquiring minds want to know, as mine are - except for the occasional chunkier babe - skinny-as-a-rake-supermodel-looking types with 'interesting' bevioural traits).

PS. Give my regards to your uncle Pericles.

#17     Aug 5, 2005
  8. I like your filter.
    :cool:

#18     Aug 6, 2005
  9. I was about to ask, can anyone give me leading indicator for prices? I'm willing to pay, if it works. ------------>
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Day trading, You should have different strategy with different indicators, A ranging day needs its own setup and a trending day requires different system.

Standard deviation systems such as Keltner channel penetration would not work on strong trending days, also requires a very serious back testing and a good money management, but they be very mechanical and profitable.

For heavy trending days you just need to simply go with the crowd, I personally use Jack Hershey's system ( for ES ) IF my entry does not happen to be in RSI and MFI red zone.

#19     Aug 6, 2005
  10. Most helpful!
    Please tell us now how to spot:
    (1) a ranging day;
    (2) a strong trending day;
    (3) a heavy trending day.

#20     Aug 6, 2005