movies on trading

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by travis, Aug 28, 2009.

1. travis

travis

Ok, done it:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Trading_television_programs
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Trading_films

Ok, now someone for sure will object that mahowny is not a trading film, but the psychology of it is much closer to that of day trading than even Wall Street.

I will quote eusdaiki's explanation of how to edit those two pages, because it was quite clear:
    "If you want to add Boiler Room, go to the Boiler Room wiki and edit that page, you'll find at the end a bunch of category tags. Just add the new category:trading films to it using the same format as others".

Thank you for this great idea you had. I hope that soon new films and tv shows will be added.

----

Can someone explain to me please why the brokers (james and lance) featured in WSW 2 are convincing their customers to buy Sandisk? What do they get from it? I don't know much about funds or brokers, but why are these "brokers" acting like a fund and choosing to invest other people's money? Do brokers usually manage other people's money? What is the difference then between them and a fund? And why aren't they diversifying? Is it because they are great at raising money but have no idea on how to invest it?

#41     Aug 31, 2009
  2. brokers usually make a commission on every share they sell. If they're able to choose what to buy/sell for the client then its a discretionary acct...

#42     Sep 1, 2009
  3. travis

travis

Oh, I see. Thank you.

#43     Sep 2, 2009
  4. i know this isnt a trading movie, but rounders is good. so is "21"

for anyone how likes a good poker movie.

#44     Sep 2, 2009
  5. #45     Sep 7, 2009
  6. travis

travis

7. I too was bothered, even sickened to my stomach.

he lacked any sense of a mathematical comprehension of basic daily graphing of the market action, that would have at least given him the outside view instead of the tunnel vision being on the floor always creates,

even a basic comprehension of daily, weekly, monthly charting

or even of basic stochastics applied on a 15min, 30min, hourly, daily chart would have done for his efforts,

guess if watching the movie as it continues to degrade into his situation and all the checks and balances from the London office being ignored, is another repeat of the 2008 Bush fiasco with the markets....

#47     Sep 15, 2009
  8. Devin Brady

Devin Brady ET Sponsor

Turn those machines back on!

#48     Sep 15, 2009
  9. I read Lesson's book... and well.. the trouble wasn't really 1 bad trade, it was a loss that got bigger and bigger in a matter of years... the bank was unwilling to see the problems even when they send cash amounts that represented over 60% of the banks assets over to HK. They even had to seek an exception from the bank of england in order to allocate such a large % of capital overseas... (the exception allowed them something like 30% ... but even that wasn't enough)

#49     Sep 15, 2009
  10. travis

travis

The interesting thing is that such a bad trader could become so popular for a while and cause so many problems. The bank I work for has a trading desk full of college graduates that know nothing about trading, trade with basic technical analysis, and I have knowledge that they lose money even a whole year in a row, and still are not fired. Everyone in the management and in the trading room finds it normal to say "oh well, you know... you can't win every year".

#50     Sep 15, 2009