Movie: The Wolf of Wall Street

Discussion in 'Music, Movies and TV' started by Pekelo, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Which one? The 2nd book was far better and more interesting then the first.

#21     Jun 27, 2013
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

I met him at pure platinum in ft Lauderdale back in the early 90's ..I was working in their sister BD Biltmore securities...he was tossing bennys at the girls dancing onstage...he must have gone thru 2 or 3 g's in a matter of 10 songs...lol..They were raking in the $$ back then...

#22     Jun 27, 2013
  3. it will be tough to convince me that anything with Leonardo Dicaprio would have a good-quality of trading details in it. It would likely be banking fluff and storylines revolving around sexual and personal relationships. just my 2 cents.

#23     Sep 20, 2013
  4. it will be tough to convince me that anything with Leonardo Dicaprio would have a good-quality of trading details in it. It would likely be banking fluff and storylines revolving around sexual and personal relationships. just my 2 cents.

#24     Sep 20, 2013
  5. Which one are you talking about? Catching the Wolf of wallstreet? I enjoyed the first book, if anyone did they should check out the book The Buy Side. It's newer and has more trading material but nothing to learn from.

I'm excited to see who plays his wife...

#25     Sep 20, 2013
  6. I'll watch any movie with Jonah Hill (MoneyBall) in it even if he has only a bit part. Funny, funny guy.

There are very few OTC stock promoters that lasted for decades. And even fewer that had enough savvy and political juice to avoid jail time. Irving Kott was a major league promoter for five decades and learned after a more public youth to stay out of the limelight to the extent he could yet still call the shots. To give you a sense of the juice he had in Canada, he was reputed to have been on a one side or the other of approximately 50% of the trades on the Montreal Stock Exchange in one year ... I'll guess in the 60's. Admittedly a sleep exchange but the "pegged" prices allowed him to see tens (if not hundreds) of millions of dollars worth of stock around the globe away from the listing. he was brilliant at the game. Some say the best of the late 20th century.

He had a reputation was if he said a $3 number would be $5 in a week days ... voila a $5 stock seven days later. A friend of his, Karl, I've forgotten the last name, put 90 guys who had never sold a share of stock in their lives on bicycles in Indonesia and 90 days later walked out of the country (maybe he ran) with $2.6 million in the late 70's.

The scale on which some of these Canadian promoters operated in was truly incredible. The TIME MAGAZINE piece missed a number of Kott's biggest plays in Germany and elsewhere. He excaped assisination attempts twice. In Munich his salesman were handed a room service menu when they were hired (the offices were in a good hotel) and told to order whatever food, wine etc. they wanted. Irving operated in a grand manner with incredible flair unlike the Bay Ridge/long Island crowd. I'm not justifying the carnage he left behind just recalling a different era.

Avoiding doing time is the big trick and The Wolf didn't pull that off. Makes him only a AAA ball player no matter how much money he coined.

#26     Sep 20, 2013
  7. slumdog

slumdog

Also Boiler Room was released just a few weeks before the March 2000 top.

#27     Sep 20, 2013
  8. Everyone told me Gatsby marked the top? You can't fight the FED. If they play the taper right this market can continue to go a chunk higher. Large quantities of cheap/free money do wonders in the short/meduim term. The hangover can be problemtic but it ain't yet the morning after ... or at least it does not appear so.

#28     Sep 20, 2013
  9. Just like Margin Call & Arbitrage also marked the top (sarcasm)...

#29     Sep 20, 2013
  10. Pekelo

Pekelo

Let's say you are the director/producer/company. Who do you make a movie for with a big star in it, 30K traders with a bunch of boring trading details or 10 million moviegoers with sex, party and cocaine? Tough call....

#30     Sep 20, 2013