Moveon.org has got to be shut down!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yeah I know they are protected by free speech but doesn't this outrage people that your tax dollars are supporting this organization. Can you or anyone else thinking of any group on the right that is this radical and this extreme? I mean seriously.

#11     Jan 5, 2004
  2. That's right. Public figures are fair game. They become considered "public domain" and have virtually no recourse for slander or libel.

Next time you go to a publicly televised sporting event, closely read the small print on the back of your ticket. You too, by attending such a public display become part of the "public domain".

So if your wife is home and happens to see you making out with your girlfriend on camera, you are shit out of luck. There is no violation of your privacy. If you are wearing a "cheesehead" hat and Al Michaels says you are an obvious lunatic, there can be no slander. Your picture appears in Newsweek when you are painted orange and blue at a Bronco's game, and you are referred to as psychotic, there is no libel.

It takes a very thick skin to be a public figure. Which in some ways is good, and some bad.

If people could run for public office and have some degree of privacy in their lives, we might have some more desirable candidates. On the other hand, it is safe to assume that those who do run know that we will be privy to everything they ever said or did. Or were even accused of having said or done. (Rightly or wrongly).

There are obvious problems with the concept of "public domain", but it really is the only logical approach. They did not have it in Russia. They don't in many places. The lack of this goes hand in hand with the lack of freedom.

Yes, the Christian Coalition. Seriously!

Peace,
    :)RS

#12     Jan 5, 2004
  3. Freedom of speech is only needed for unpopular opinions. We don't need the First Amendment to be able to say that newborn babies are cute, or that flowers are pretty. Dissent is a part of a free society, and people with controversial opinions should never be 'shut down'.

#13     Jan 5, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

Please give an example how the Christian coalition has ran an ad that compares to President Bush being Adolph Hitler, a man who killed 6 millions jews to rid the planet of an entire race. Please enlighten me. This ought to be really good.

#14     Jan 5, 2004
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

That's right. Moveon.org has another Hitler/Bush ad. How can you democrats stand for this. If the right were doing this comparing Dean to Stalin, I would be all over that. There are some things I think that it doesn't matter what party you are with, it's called human decency. Maybe I'm aking for too much from the left. Here is the ad:

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash2m.htm

SECOND BUSH/HITLER AD APPEARS AT MOVEON.ORG
    MON JAN 05 2004 10:27:51 ET

A SECOND ADVERT WHICH COMPARES PRESIDENT BUSH TO HITLER STREAMED ON MOVEON.ORG, THE DRUDGE REPORT HAS LEARNED. THE NEW HITLER SPOT FEATURED THE GRAPHIC 'SPONSORED BY MOVEON.ORG.'

GRAPHIC: Nazi Flags In A Parade
    GRAPHIC: Hitler
    HITLER: (Speaking In German)
    CHYRON: A NATION WARPED BY LIES

GRAPHIC: German Troops Marching
    GRAPHIC: Hitler In Car In Parade
    GRAPHIC: German Troops Marching
    CHYRON: LIES FUEL FEAR

GRAPHIC: German Tanks
    CHYRON: FEAR FUELS AGGRESSION

GRAPHIC: German Artillery Firing
    GRAPHIC: German Planes Dropping Bombs
    GRAPHIC: German Tanks Firing
    CHYRON: INVASION

GRAPHIC: German Tanks Rolling Down Street
    CHYRON: OCCUPATION

GRAPHIC: Hitler With Hand Raised
    BACKGROUND: Sig Heil! Sig Heil!
    CHYRON: WHAT WERE WAR CRIMES IN 1945

GRAPHIC: President Bush With Hand Raised At Inauguration
    BACKGROUND: Sig Heil! Sig Heil!
    CHYRON: IS FOREIGN POLICY IN 2003

CHYRON: SPONSORED BY MOVEON.ORG

THE 30-SECOND VIDEO IS THE SECOND AD COMPARING BUSH TO HITLER TO BE STREAMED ON MOVEON.ORG. THE CLIP IS PART OF A CONTEST TO FIND THE BEST BUSH-BASHING AD.

A PANEL OF JUDGES, INCLUDING ACTOR-DIRECTOR MICHAEL MOORE, AND DEM CAMPAIGN STRATEGISTS DONNA BRAZILE AND JAMES CARVILLE, WILL SELECT THE WINNER.

[EDITOR'S NOTE: Jack Rosen, president of the American Jewish Congress, writes in Monday's WALL STREET JOURNAL: "MoveOn.org informed potential ad makers that 'we're not going to post anything that would be inappropriate for television.' Two of the ads posted on the group's Web site compared Adolf Hitler to George W. Bush. One ad morphed an image of Hitler into President Bush and says that, '1945's war crimes' are '2003's foreign policy.'" Rosen says MoveOn.org is "using the memory of that genocide as a political prop. Their comparison diminishes the reality of what happened, and their actions cheapen the memory of a horrific crime. It also does a terrible disservice to this country at a perilous time, when we need to examine the dangers we face with clarity and purpose." Leadership is "about confronting threats to freedom everywhere. President Bush has shown that leadership in Iraq, and our troops have liberated a people who were oppressed by another murderous dictator. MoveOn.org compares this liberation to the Holocaust. It deploys a picture of Hitler to vilify President Bush. Comparing the commander-in-chief of a democratic nation to the murderous tyrant Hitler is not only historically specious, it is morally outrageous. Comparing an American president, any American president, to Hitler is an outrage. The MoveOn.org ad was inexcusable. Political figures such as Al Gore, who have associated themselves with MoveOn.org, have a special responsibility to condemn these ads; donors to the group such as George Soros have the same responsibility. They owe it not just to the memory of the millions who died in the Holocaust. They owe it also as a simple matter of decency."]

#15     Jan 5, 2004
  6. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

Is that the only thing about Hitler that bothers you? What about our attempts to eliminate the American Indian?

#16     Jan 5, 2004
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

What about it?

What does this have to do with moveon.org's Hitler/Bush ads.

So I take it you approve of these ads. Your family must be proud of you.

#17     Jan 5, 2004
  8. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

That's what I was wondering. You keep characterizing Hitler as the man who killed however many Jews. Is that the only thing that you can think of to say about him? Are these ads suggesting that Bush wants to eliminate the Jews? If not, perhaps they're suggesting that he shares other characteristics with him. And perhaps he does.

#18     Jan 5, 2004
  9. Maverick74

Maverick74

Is that the only thing I can think of you Nazi F*ck? Are you out of your mind. The guy killed 6 million jews and you act like that is some kind of ancillary detail. Like I am overlooking his artistic talents he had as a young man. Or his public speaking abilities. You have lost it man.

I'll tell you what. Do me a favor. Do you know of anyone who survived the Holocaust? If you do, why don't you go up to them and get their opinions on this matter. Perhaps THEY might be able to enlighten you. Tell me how long it takes them to break down in tears at the very mention of that man's name and then ask them how they would feel if they sat down with their family to watch TV tonight and saw that ad running on TV comparing Bush to Hitler and get their reaction for me. Then come back to the board here and share that with the rest of us. Although I have a funny feeling you won't do that. You already know what their reaction is going to be.

#19     Jan 5, 2004
  10. dbphoenix

dbphoenix

So what race is it that Bush wants to eliminate?

#20     Jan 5, 2004