Motherboard and PCI-e slots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 2mTrader, Jan 21, 2011.

1. bighog

bighog Guest

They have these before Newegg. To arrive in my lap soon.
    http://www.provantage.com/pny-technologies-vcnvs300x16-pb~7PNY90VT.htm

Vid cards for trading and multiple monitors are no mystery, just listen to scrapaps, or however you spell it.

With todays operating systems and Quadro cards for financial industry there are easy answers. GO to PNY Technologies web site all the answers you need.

#31     Jan 27, 2011
  2. It's not that an x1 card "won't be transferring data at the optimal level".. both an x1 and an x16 card will be exactly the same until the data stream is >500 MB/s.

Each lane on a PCIE slot can handle 500 MB/s. An x1 card has 1 lane. An x16 card has 16 lanes. However, the amount of data you're likely to process during trading... even if you're following 1000 symbols.. is only about 100 KB/s. That means that even an x1 card can handle 5000 TIMES the amount of data you're going to be sending through it.

With today's motherboards, you wouldn't use an x1 card usually. (There are a couple of potential issues with x1 video cards. If you REALLY have to run one, then look up those issues. Otherwise, just use x16 video cards in a mobo with enough x16 slots.)

I use an x1 card because my X38 mobo has only 2, x16 slots... so I run an x1 in an x8 slot. The display for the x1 monitors is the same as for the x16 monitors.

#32     Jan 27, 2011
  3. This is off the subject a little. But what is a good trading computer off the shelf, I have other computers to web surf and for my business, I just want a dedicated trading computer. Right now I only use 2 monitors but would want a set up that would handle 4 monitors. I don't want to learn to put one together.

#33     Feb 27, 2011
  4. Can't vouch for all chipsets, but it appears any "x1 video card issues" may have been resolved with X58 mobos.

I tested an x1 card (Nvidia Quadro NVS 285) in all possible configurations with a 295, x16 card... on an Gigabyte X58 mobo, and all worked perfectly.

#34     Feb 28, 2011