Most volitile time for EUR/USD

Discussion in 'Forex' started by uninvited_guest, May 23, 2005.

1. After doing a quick check the most volitile time for the EUR/USD is at 8am EST.

50 to 100 pip moves from 8 - 9am EST seem to happen at that time more than any other time.

2. John47

John47

have you looked at GBP/USD as well?

3. Well, don't forget the last two-hours before the market closes on Friday.

There's been some tremendous last-minute position manipulating / profit-taking for the weekend.

s

4. Most volatile Euro period = 8 to 9 ET:

This is mainly due to data releases. The news embargo is most often lifted at 08:30 ET.

The better data releases to trade (at the moment) are NFP, Retail Sales, CPI, Durable Goods, GDP and Chicago PMI.

These give a fairly predictable 30 pip movement before retracement. NFP produces an average daily range of 140 pips but to capture a major part of this move means braving the fierce whipsaws and gaps that are often seen at data release time.

Best wishes
    Morty

5. Another good time regardless of news is the Europe open. Since I live in Moscow, I catch it between 10 and 11 AM, which is 2 and 3 am EST. The EUR will usually move in the direction of the best technical call for the open, based on previous day closes and movements.

6. I agree, I traded the Euro up to the figure this morning.